DVD/CD ROM will not recognize any disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Learning As I Go, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Learning As I Go

Learning As I Go Sergeant

As of last evening, I discovered my DVD/CD ROM drive would not recognize any disks I put in it.

I know it was working on Monday. Tuesday night I discovered it wasn't.

I checked the Device manager and the device is said to be "working properly".

I ran the trouble shooter, and the only applicable advice I found was to uninstall the driver and re-boot. Windows would see the "new" hardware and install the appropriate driver.

This did not work. I made sure Windows was updated and the driver was updated. Everything was already current.

I ran a scan with Adaware and nothing came up.

I checked the Start-up programs and Active tasks with Winpatrol. The DVD launcher is listed and active with no problems showing.

I've tried a DVD, CD-ROM, and an audio CD. I've put each one in the drive and the drive makes the normal noises, the light shows activity, but when it gets to the point of showing the menu (I think it gets to that point) - the light goes out and the drive stops running.

I've gone into "My computer" and clicked on the D-Drive only to be told: "insert disk".

I even found an old CD-Rom cleaner. (The kind that is a disk with a little brush glued on it)

I stuck that in and it basically got stuck. The light continued to blink of and on, and the eject button wouldn't work. I had to turn off the computer and hit the eject button before the computer recognized there was a disk in the drive.

As is most likely apparent, I know very little about computers and I believe I listed everything I tried.

At this point any ideas would be most appreciated. I'm stumped - how about you?

Thanks in advance,

LAIGo

Windows XP/SP2, Dell deminsion 2400, Celeron 2.4, 256 MB of RAM, Samsung DVD ROM SD-616E

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

First option is the check the cable is firmly pushed in.. best to unplug it and plug it back in then test again.

Cables can also go bad, so if you have a spare use that also to test.. helps narrow things down a bit.

3. Learning As I Go

Wow, you read all that already.

Forgive my ignorance, but to which cable are you referring.

The Drive is part of my computer, and the only cables I see are: the power supply, the printer, the monitor, and the mouse/keyboard/speaker cables.

Thanks for you input.

LAIGo

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Ah sorry mate... the cable I'm refering to is the IDE ribbon cable that connects your CDRom to the motherboard, so you would have to turn off and open the PC up to get to it, they can over time ( with moving and vibrations ) become loose and not connecting fully.

Yes I can speed read ;)

5. cycon76

cycon76 Private E-2

How long have you had your DVD/CD ROM?

Sometimes the lenses in the drive tend to collect dust and will not read the disk. Even though the lens is not reading discs the Device manager will report a good working drive. Your best bet is to pull out and open the drive and clean the optical lens. This has worked for me many times when i fix cd roms. Another appoach, if you have an extra working drive swap it out.

6. Learning As I Go

I've only had the computer/DVD drive for about 4 1/2 months.

It seems I am going to have to dig in, huh.

Do the things I listed sound reasonable?

Are there any additional computer related things I could try, or am I going to have to go inside and take a look?

LAIGo

7. CS Addict

CS Addict Private E-2

Try using compressed air. Open up the drive and give it a shot. A good wipe with a cotton t-shirt might also clean up the lens (be gentle). I had a similar problem, it turned out the drive was made on a Monday, garbage. But i tried everything before turfing it (it too was fairly new). They are cheap to buy nowadays, so if yours has crapped out, it's not a HUGE deal. Good luck!

8. Learning As I Go

Thanks again for the responses.

I'll have try this stuff later.

I work nights, and I'm about spent.

I'll check back later and see if anything new has been added, and I'll post back if I can resolve this one.

I like closure.

LAIGo

9. mysteriousbob

mysteriousbob Private E-2

I had the same problem with my AOPEN CDRW, the green light would just keep flashing. Then i switched it with a Philips CDRW and now the CD Tray wont stay closed...I'm about to go get another IDE cable and switch them out, however i doubt that is the problem. I'll see tho...please give me input

10. Learning As I Go

The only follow up I can offer at this point is another trouble-shooting option I was given.

I was told to go to the BIOS menu.

In the BIOS menu change the boot sequence to start with the CD ROM.

In my case it still did not work, however - it can help eliminate any windows problems.

I was told to use a diagnostic disk that was included with my computer.

It was supposed to boot from the diagnostic disk, and then begin to figure out the problem.

I'm not sure what disk you can use besides a diagnostic disk, but it may help you see if the problem is in windows and not the drive itself.

In my case, I think the drive is shot. I'll await further instructions and eventually post back with the fix.

LAIGo

11. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Even after reading only your first post, I'd think your drive was either gone bad or the media was unreadable, given the info, obviously it was not due to unreadable media.
    Both using a compressed air can and cleaning your drive lens are sound and practical advise. Dusty, dirty lens seems to be the easiest possibility to go after. If the drive shows up in My computer/Device Manager then it is neither a disconnected power or data cable, but a crimped/damaged data ribbon cable could cause miscellaneous errors and behavior.
    If you could view or read the contents of the CDs but got errors, etc. then I'd also throw in the mis-aligned laser possibility in the mix but at that point coughing up $$ for a new drive is ultimately the best option since repairing a drive almost always cost as much as the new one. ;)

12. Learning As I Go

I agree.

That was my first impression. I had 2 old Playstations that acted in a similiar manner.

The good news - I'm still under warrenty (which is why I was leery about opening up the case).

We'll see how long Dell drags their feet, and I'll post any additional trouble-shooting suggestions just as FYI.

LAIGo

13. Learning As I Go

It's a done deal.

After recieving yet another e-mail from Dell tech support, I finally got tired of all the bogus trouble-shooting tips from them.

I responded to the latest e-mail with my concerns. This was at 6:00 pm on Monday.

Tuesday morning there was a new DVD ROM on my front porch.

I installed it last night at work, and it works like a charm.

Now that I am brave enough to go digging inside my computer, I plan on getting a CD burner and some additional memory.

I'll have to wait until my tax returns come back, and I might have to post for a little "how-to" advice - but that will be sometime later.

Thanks again to everyone for their concern - it's all better now.

All the best,

LAIGo

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds