How do i find right motherboard for my case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marnmar, Feb 2, 2005.

1. marnmar

marnmar Private E-2

I am looking to replace the motherboard in my HP Pavilion a305w. It has a Trigem Glendale motherboard with Celeron 2.7 GHZ processor-400 mhz FSB-Socket 478. What I would like is a more stable mobo that will accept my processor and fit in my case. Pics and specs of the mobo are here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...s&dlc=en&product=362754&docname=c00046449#doc. Just need a good mobo that will match the slots/openings in the back of my case I already have. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

What is prompting you to upgrade the motherboard? What is unstable? Second can you remove the face place on the back of the case that the ports on the Mobo slide through? This is a micro ATX (type of "standard") Mobo and thus the case would be too, can you remove the plate? It is up to you what/if any integrated features you want. Look up Micro ATX boards that support socket 478 on NewEgg (3 pages to chose from), the boards come with a plate. Also verify the wattage on your PSU, you'll want to make sure it can support the load you may place on it with the upgrade/s.

3. marnmar

marnmar Private E-2

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes the plate does come off (I didn't realize they did that :) ). The reason I want to replace it is because I am doing some major changes to the computer and with the complaints this motherboard has been getting I am afraid I will put all the extras (Geforce Video card, 3rd hard drive, Dvd-rw, 1 GB ram) in and the motherboard will not handle it well. I have already had to spend some major time finding the correct drivers for the board because it (windows) has crashed on me twice, and I still don't have everything working as conflicts arise every time.

4. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

If you are doing such a major upgrade (replacing everything but the processor & memory), why don't you get a standard ATX case and motherboard (huge selection), unless for some reason you really like the MicroAtx cases?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds