Ping spikes with online gameing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kerblam, Feb 2, 2005.

1. kerblam

kerblam Private E-2

Hello all

I am getting some pretty nasty ping spikes while I’m playing Battle Field Vietnam. I would be going along my merry way when all of a sudden I get a box come up saying "connection problems". I go to check the option's to see that my ping is well over 1000! There are three PC's at home that all connect to a router (Netgear DG384G). Two was connected via wireless. I removed one of the wireless cards In my brother's PC who also suffers from the same problem at the same time, and Inserted a network card to see if it resolved the problem, which dident.

I have also done the following to try to solve the problem

Ad-Aware (latest update)
    AVG scan (latest update)
    Stinger (Lates update)
    And made sure that none of the PC'S were downloading while I was playing online

I was told that it might have something to do with my ISP, which is Pipex. So when I visited there web page, I was in over my head! There was no one I could contact directly. Just a series of drop down menus of "please choose the following". I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to networking. But this is one of the most frustrating things I have ever dealt with and am despreat to try and slove.

Can someone please point me in the right direction in solving this technical riddle?

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

There can be many reasons.. many out of your control too..
    when you 'spike' are you the only person with a high ping?
    (I don't play BFVN(?) but on CS you can see a list of players and pings)
    What ping are you at when you connect?

3. kerblam

kerblam Private E-2

With CS:S it plays fine. The ping spikes are only small and hardly a problem. But as soon as we start playing BFV, that’s where the problem starts. We play clan matches, so it’s usually happens when my bro and me are playing online at the same time. We both suffer with high pings at the same time :rolleyes: . Something is going wrong when we are both on, for some unknown reason.

I know that reinstalling is not an option as my BFV CD is scratched and wont auto run when inserted. I could use my bro's CD to reinstall, and then use my CD key. But it would still mean that I would have to play with the scratched CD.

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

So when you 2 spike the rest of the players pings look normal?
    Then the problem is with your connection.. and like I said most of this is out of your control.. if someone is scanning the network, launching a mini-dos attack, on cable your neighbors got home and got on line, someone on your local system is downloading in the background... a lot of things can hurt your connection.. a lot of things can lag at the server also.. some slow 33.6'r joins, some script kiddie is dos'ing the server to crash it... the possibilites are limitless.....

5. kerblam

kerblam Private E-2

All Sorted

Thanks for the posts. I and to call the big guns round, by the name of Gordon (network god). And soon the problems where no more. It seemed that its not a good idea to assign all the PC's to obtain there own IP address as it sometimes gets confused when sending info to and through. He said something similar alone the lines anyway. and another interesting fact that Ad-aware is good but its also a better idea to have spybot search and destroy, to get what Ad-aware misses, (and vice versa)

But you made some interesting points, and are very grateful that you spent your time to help me. Thanks Foogoo :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds