how to setup home network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by needurhelp, Feb 3, 2005.

1. needurhelp

needurhelp Private E-2

Hi
    i have 3 pcs at home and i want to link them all so i can use 1 printer, internet etc and see all files on all pcs. can anyone tell me how i can do this or links to a good step by step website i really have no idea so would need newtorking steps for dummies. any help greatly received. thanks

2. dedub

dedub Corporal

What might help is if you let us know how you connect? Is is dial up, ISDN, Cable, DSL? What OS's are you running? Besides all that I must emphasize security, security, security!!!!!!!!!!!! There are ways that you can use Windows to share internet conections but I highly recommend spending the $50 dollars for a linksys, Netgear or Dlink router. There are several different models and the wireless with built in switches are the most popular. A Router provides a "hardware firewall to protect you and your small lan. There are *tons* of tutorials out there to read and if you let us know what you endstate is, ie... wireless, Cat5 cable ect I can give you a few links to check out.

ds

3. needurhelp

needurhelp Private E-2

right first of all 1 pc has winxp sp2, the other 2 have win 98. i want to setup wireless if i can. i have virgin adsl braodband which i want to use in the 3 machines. bascially what i want to do is be able to access files and folders on all machines, be able to use my 1 internet connection and also be able to share hardware eg printers. i want good security what would u recommend me getting. any help would be great thanks

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds