Q: Normal Temp for my CPU...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Captain_Sparky, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Captain_Sparky

Captain_Sparky Private E-2

Ok, I've just rebuilt most of my PC, due to my old MB going *BOOM* and taking my RAM and HDD with it... feh.

I'd be grateful to know what my "normal" CPU temperature - especially if at 100% usage - would be?

Specs:

Athlon XP 2000+ Processor (running 1667Mhz)
    Akasa AKA-785SE CPU Cooler (i.e - 5000rpm CPU Fan)
    Abit KV7-V Motherboard
    512 DDR 400 RAM
    Asus Geforce 4 MX420 DDR 64Mb
    Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Windows 98 FE

Disabled Smart Fan control, to keep temp down more. Nothing O/C!

Currently veers between about 32c (idling) and 54c (gaming).

Any advice appreciated!

2. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

The 54 is hot for XP 2000, what type of case, case fans, also type of thermal paste? 5000rpm, must sound quite loud, not familiar with Akasa, I use Thermaltake cooling products, thier newer ownes work well will little noise. You could get much cooler temps and alot less noise, depends on homw much $$ you are looking to spend.

3. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

get some artic silver 5, and it will take down your temps by 3-5 C. it worked for me.

4. Ruebarb

The article siver 5 is a great product and will help alot, but the cpu would still be at 50.

5. Captain_Sparky

Thanks!

Oh, 1 Fan (CPU). Good airflow, Case usually 28-30c. No thermal compound used.

Akasa are strictly no-frills Coolers, i.e - not particularly quiet or anything :p

I didn't build the PC - I'm disabled, and lucky enough to live down the road from a PC dealer friend, who installed the MB, RAM, and fiddly bits.

I'd just like to get my CPU into the 40s on 100% load...

I'll see about getting thermal compound applied... would a Cooler meant for faster AMD's help also? Im *assuming* a Cooler for XP 3200+ or similar has a better heatsink..?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  6. Ruebarb

Their are quite a few different companies that offer socket A coolers that will give good cooling at little noise, you'd be looking to spend $40-50, I also find a fan controller helps to, reduce fans speed and noise for idle work and turn them up for gaming, but that another $15-25. Depends on how much you can spend. If you want specific recomendations, let me know. But since your friend does the work he may be familiar/comfortable with certain products.

7. Captain_Sparky

Appreciated!

I'll be buying cheapish - moneys tight - but noise isn't important, though if you could recommend a few manufacturers..?

Motherboard has built-in "smart fan control" if coolings decent I'll just turn that on and hope its noticably quieter :p

Note: I'm based in the UK, Akasa, CoolerMaster, and Thermaltake seem popular over here...

8. Ruebarb

I'm a thermaltake products, I'm all about good cooling and quite. What I use my XP 25000 Barton stock 1.8, bus 333(OC 2.205, bus 400). Is the thermaltake using heatpipr heatsink http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-045&depa=0 with the silent cat 9cm http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-999-136&depa=0 using the thermaltake fan controler http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-999-137&depa=0 running at 50% speed on fan is idle 46, gaming I turn it to full and stay about 50.
    Wheras your system is running at clock speed, you should be able to obtain lowers cpu temps easier than my system, the items listed are some decent $$, but thermaltake offers alot of other cooling options. Check out what they offer on thier web site http://www.thermaltake.com/armor.htm

9. Ruebarb

I was looking at the Thermaltakes site, they have alot of new products listed, most which aren't available yet or have been reviewed

10. Captain_Sparky

Just a few additional Q's...

1) Is thermal compound really necessary? I've ordered XP3200+ Fan/Copper, and if I remember right, CPU coolers come with at least a thermal pad pre-applied..?

2) Since I happen to have a HD sensor... whats a good temp range for a HDD? (Seagate 120Gb, can't remember if 5400 or 7200 off-hand, usual temp 38-42 I think).

11. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

I got an AMD 64 3000+ PIB, had a thermal patch and the usual AMD heatsink etc.

Current temp = 36C

Yesterday, after a 2 hour thrash on Doom3, temp = 42C

Probably will get new heatsink etc, but am still pretty impressed :)

12. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

32C looks pretty good (I wish I could get my idle temp that low!) -- but 54C is high even for full load.

I find myself wondering if you have a situation where your existing case airflow can keep up with an idling CPU, but can't deal properly with the heat thrown off by a CPU running at 100%.

Check the temperature rise within the case. It shouldn't be more than about 7C. Easiest way to do that is with one of those indoor/outdoor thermometers with a remote probe. Put the probe in the airflow coming off the CPU, and use the "indoor" sensor to read ambient temperature near the largest opening in the case that lets air in. Don't put the probe in the PSU exhaust -- that reading will be inflated by the heat dumped by the PSU, and that's not a factor as far as your CPU is concerned.

If the case temperature rise exceeds 7C., do what you can to improve the airflow through the case. IMHO, an AMD XP2000+ should have at least an exhaust fan at the top rear of the case near the CPU (in addition to whatever fans the PSU has).

For what it's worth: I'm running an AMD XP2500+; I'm getting a CPU temp rise of 4-5C from idle to full load -- and full-load temp (running SETI) stays pretty close to 45C at an ambient temp of 21-22C. Temp rise within the case is 4-5C. To get that, I'm using a 120mm intake fan in the front, and two 80mm exhaust fans in the rear in addition to a two-fan PSU.

To see what others are getting, check this site out.

13. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Check out this site for some detailed reviews that include measurements of noise and heat absorption.

14. Captain_Sparky

Thank you all.

Yes, airflow seems terrible... idling its fine, but its not enough to cope with heat buildup. I added an ancient 1500rpm exhaust case fan, and thats lowered temps by 3-5c, except on 100% load, where its about 2c.

I think my best option is to buy a decent exhaust case fan (unfortunately not enough money to buy a decent case with intake, oh well...) and apply thermal compound. It'll keep the CPU under 50 at least...

15. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

I think that's your best bet.

An intake fan is less important than an exhaust fan -- the idea is to get the hot air out of the case. Pushing air into the case is only an indirect route to that end, and it often doesn't do much for air circulation in the corner under the PSU unless the latter has an intake fan on the bottom of its case. Sucking air out of that corner is much more effective.

BTW -- a 1500rpm fan may be very quiet, but it's not likely to move a lot of air. Even the Vantech Stealth fans turn faster than that.

You mentioned that you're not using thermal compound. It's even odds between thermal paste and the gray thermal pad that comes on a stock AMD heatsink. But you should definitely have something between the CPU die and the bottom of the heatsink to improve thermal transfer. If you have nothing in there but air (no matter how thin), it's amazing that you're getting temps as low as you indicate.

16. Captain_Sparky

Thanks.

I think saying I've used no "thermal compound" has confused people... I meant I'm using the pre-applied "thermal pad", but no "thermal paste/grease/compound".

I'd have a burnt out CPU otherwise :p

Exhaust fans... what RPM would be decent?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds