Nvidia 6600gt agp graphic card issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gman4554, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Gman4554

Gman4554 Private E-2

Hi:

I hope you have the time to comment on my issue.

My system:

Via chipset KT400 motherboard with 3.0 AGP, less than 2 years old, AMD-XP (32-bit) 3000plus, 2.2G, fastest cpu this board will take.

1G sdram pc2700 (133)
    20G Western Digital HD 100
    Creative SB Live
    cd-cdrw drives.
    WindowsXP- SP2
    430w new power supply Everax. I have 6 fans in cabinet. Two are on the PS.

And the EVGA 6600gt agp.

No Problems: Windows boots up fine, diagnostics show AGP 8X and 128megs ram, 2d graphics fine. All windows programs work fine.

Card installed properly with extra power line to the 4-hole mobo connector.
    Drivers: latest 67.02 from Nvidia.

Real Problem: 3d graphics very poor. I have tried a bunch of benchmarks and they are lousy.
    3d-Marks-2005 is awful and system automatically reboots during the testing.
    During the testing, lines that are skewed an appear all over the display.

This is the 2nd card from EVGA, the first card did the same thing, only worse. They assured me that the 2nd card was tested first before they shipped it out to me.

My previous card was a Nvidia, GeForce 4 card with 128megs agp 4X and it ran fine but was too slow to run the higher 3d programs.

How could I have two bad cards. Is my system just not compatible. It should be. Is this a software issue. Windows or Via Chipset. I did not do a reformat with new install of Windows and the Via-chipset drivers. I went on-line to a bunch of forums and a lot of issues with this GPU from Nvidia 6600GT. Some commented that there are a lot of "bad" chips on many different cards from many different manufactures. As high as 30%.

Is the 6800GT more reliable, better GPU stability?

If you are allowed to comment, I would appreciate your help!!

Gman

2. Zeppelin264

Zeppelin264 Private E-2

Well, to try and answer your question. Yes the 6800GT is better the Ultra even better. I just bought the Ultra 256 casue i had the 128 and didnt like it. As for the GPU, its the newest out right now the NV40 soon the NV45 will eb coming out though. your problem could be drivers caseu i dont think those are the lastest nvidia drivers. Im not sure on that though. Try looking for 6800 tweak guides on google and try setting it up for performance/Quility, whichever u prefer. IMO id go buy the 6800 series.

Hope that kinda helps!

3. OldGeezer

OldGeezer Private E-2

Try downloading a utility (like NVHardPage) that will let you see if WindowsXP is actually operating at the proper AGP rate. I have a KT400 chipset with a Geforce FX5600 8x AGP video card. The chipset and GPU run at 8x but the OS reports 2x. My performance is suffering as a result. Haven't found a solution yet.

4. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

You may also want to check what all is running when you play the games. Check to see what all is set to auto start and what processes are running.

I have had similar trouble and found when I stopped, permanently, some of the user processes that it fixed my issue.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds