My laptop won't recognize modem-HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HHdHeel, Feb 4, 2005.

1. HHdHeel

HHdHeel Private E-2

I run a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop with Win XP Pro SP2 op system, 256 RAM, 1.0GHz CPU, a 30 GHz hard drive 50% used. At home I use DSL and on the road use dial-up modem using WalMart Connect and Juno ISP's. Recently my computer wouldn't recognize the modem when trying to connect with either ISP programs. Both worked fine in the past. I get the message Windows cannot find modem. There are no modem dial sounds. When I run Windows trouble shooting it says the modem is working fine. When I set-up the modem it says it is installed. Have spent literally hours with Dell Support on the phone. They have tried hard but no success. They ran several of their diagnostics and finally connected my computer with my dial-up modem to the IBM Global Network. It dialed out and connected fine. They concluded there was no problem with the computer. I agree that on the surface that seems correct conclusion. But...I uninstalled both ISP programs and re-installed latest versions (Walmart Connect from CD and Juno from download). Same problem. Neither ISP can connect through the modem. In fact says there isn't one. There has to be some problem within my computer. Everything is original Dell. Have made no changes to the laptop since purchase except software. Can anyone help?

2. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

Are you using the latest version of the drivers for your modem, and if so have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the modem?

3. HHdHeel

HHdHeel Private E-2

Yes to the latest drivers and to un and re installing the modem. The strange thing is that Dell support was able to get me to dial out and connect with the IBM Global Network successfully, and therefore concluded the computer and modem are fine. However, cannot connect with the WalMart ISP, nor will the computer even recognize a modem. Strange. Also uninstalled the WalMart software and reinstalled with new CD but did not help. Any more ideas will be appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds