Help! PC build 1st boot, no screen!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tard, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Tard

Tard Private First Class

I just got my video card today (PCI-E ATI X-850 XT PE) and when I installed it and hooked up my monitor, booted it up and the PC seems to boot normally with no beeps or anything. But I can't get a friggin screen or any signal from the card to the monitor or my TV with S-video or compsite video. The cards fan is running so it's got power. I got a 500W PSU so that should be enough. All 5 of my case fans run fine and my CPU fan also. My CPU temp is normal according to my harcano display. I tinkered with it for bout a half hour and finally got a screen. I don't remember much of what it said, but no errors or anything from what it looked like, just random info came up and I remember it saying sumthin like "update successfully." And it said "Boot from CD-ROM twice at the bottom. So I ctrl+alt+del to restart and see what it does and I never seen a screen again til this point. I didn't make any real adjustments to get the screen to show that time. I know the monitor works fine cuz I have no prob usin it on my old puter. I gotta use a DVI to analog adapter for this card though. So I'm just clueless as to what's goin on, this is my 1st build ever so I'm kinda nervous. I hope to god it isnt' a defective card or mobo or something. Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated!! I would be grateful if any1 could just even point my in the right direction as to where to look or call to help! Thanks a lot in advance!

2. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Does your mobo have onboard vid. If so it can help to disable that in BIOS before fitting an external vid card:)

3. Tard

Tard Private First Class

No onboard vid. Wish it was that simple. My card has 2 DVI outputs though, would it matter which I used? I've tried both numerous times.

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

there's usually a setting where you can select either PCI/AGP as your main display ... is there a BIOS setting like that in your board?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds