ATI 9600 Pro Ok For a 3.4 AMD Upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 20Valve, Feb 5, 2005.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

I currently have an AMD 2400 XP (the rest of my stuff is in my sig). It looks like I will upgrade in a month or so to an AMD 3400 or thereabouts. I was wondering if my current ATI 9600 Pro will be too much of a bottle neck for the system? As it is now I think the opposite is true. My system cannot push the card to it's limit because in most games settngs changes (minus AA of course) don't really make much of a difference speed-wise.

Thanks for any input.

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

if you're referring to the AMD64 bitters ... your 9600pro is gonna be the bottleneck ... it is a low/mid range card

3. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Well - how much of a bottleneck? I maybe should have clarified. I did look for some benchmarks with higher end CPU's and low/midrange cards compared to higher ones with no luck. Know where I might specifically find one comparisons? I will, in the end upgrade my video card later. What is the minimum card I should invest in? I noticed in your sig you have the 9800, would that suffice?

Thanks.

4. Dude1010101

Dude1010101 Corporal

i tink my 96pro bottle necks my p4 2.8 :rolleyes: it can't handle CSS but my processor can

5. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

i like my 9800pro fine ... but I think a 6600 would be the best deal if you're willing to spend a little more money .. or if money isn't a factor a 6800ultra or X800 XT PE .. although i would stay away from lite and standard editions

You really notice more of a difference upgrading you graphics card as opposed to your CPU, basically because games rely more of the GPU ... although it depends how much faster the CPU is of course

keep in mind PCI-X ... as in year or so AGP is going to be obsolete or at least on the way out .. I'd recommend getting a 939 socket AMD64 ... and just hope luck befalls you and you can just upgrade the mobo in a year to get the latest graphics card

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds