new HD and puter wont work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sporty, Feb 5, 2005.

1. sporty

sporty Private E-2

I just installed a new (maxtor 60GB 7200RPM) hard drive on my machine.
    The orig hard drive (I believe) had failed, I was getting a "Pri Master HDD Error" and when I would boot from my XP Pro disc it would say that it couldn'r find a HD.

Problem is after putting in the new HD all I get when I power up is the beep
    then the American Megatrends Inc thing and then it says "CHECKING NAVRAM..." and that's it- nothing else happens.

Please advise if there is somthing I need to re-set or what.
    I can't access the BIOS or open the CD Drive - It dosen't get far enough to do anything like that.

The sysytem is:
    PCChips mobo M810LMR
    AMD Athlon 1.4Gig
    Integrated 128-bit AGP Video (16mb shared)
    640MB RAM

PS: I did not add a HD, I replaced the one that was there
    There is only one HD on this system

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

You have a problem with your ram. It's probably died or not inserted properly, but you know if there's something wrong with it if you're getting errors. Here's something that may help you to determine the problem - http://kb.indiana.edu/data/afzy.html?cust=955518.92742.30

Hope that helps :)

3. sporty

sporty Private E-2

I don't see how th RAM could be bad it was working fine till I switched the HD
    I used a static braclet and didn't disturm the RAM chips.
    Should I try clearing the CMOS memory? or take out th RAM chips and re-seat them?

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Give both a shot, if you're getting a bad ram error then clearly something must be up with it...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds