Laptop Screen Whites out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Professor_Hojo, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Professor_Hojo

Professor_Hojo Private E-2

I've got a Compaq Presario laptop with Windows Me, and occasionally the screen just turns white for no apparent reason. I though I had burned my screen, but a restart seems to fix it. I'm not very computer savvy and I have no idea what the problem is. Any help is much appreciated.

2. dedub

dedub Corporal

Windows ME is a hybird OS and Micro$oft acknowleges it and all its flaws. What you are describing sound like a common problem with the OS. For no reason the screen whites out, though usually there will be a button on the desktop that will allow you to reactive your active desktop. This is kind of a poor mans Blue Screen. I have never looked into it or tried to *fix* it. I was not on the OS long enough to put any time into it. Try the MS knowledge base and/or go to the update site and get the latest patches, that might help.
    Or better yet get off ME and go to an NTFS type OS.

good luck

3. Professor_Hojo

It's not the active desktop failure, the entire screen turns white, not just my background. It starts out just turning fuzzy and then the entire screen just... whites out totally.

4. Professor_Hojo

I also noticed a moment ago that when it starts to blur, the image behind it doesn't change, even if I'm typing.

5. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

It could be that the computer is trying to toggle between laptop monitor and external monitor. You could try going into Display setting and disabling the external monitor function, to see if it would help. Another option would be to check Compaq's website to see if there is a BIOS update available for your computer. I had this same problem with a laptop three or four years ago ( don't remember manufacturer ) and upgrading the BIOS solved the problem. Of course as others have said, it could be a ME problem. I have an upgrade CD that I have never installed on anything. Only my thoughts, and hope they help! :)

6. Professor_Hojo

I don't think it even HAS an external monitor feature, and if it does, I never enabled it... And I consulted a professional who also suggested getting the BIOS update. I did, and the problem persists.

7. TomN

TomN Private E-2

Mine whites out too (laptop screen)

did anyone ever get any answers to this problem?

it just gradually fades out to white, kinda like someone planned it that way.

Tom

8. TomN

TomN Private E-2

it's a compaq also

9. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Did you try to turn off your laptop and turn it back on to clear out the memory, that works for me when i get a stuborn error.:confused:

10. TomN

TomN Private E-2

it works now, one time when I turned it on I was able to start it in safe mode and I got to erase whatever was causing the problem (I got it only a few days ago).

now it works fine.

I'm glad I didn't listen to all the people that were telling me it was a hardware problem.

Tom

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds