CPU not recognized as what it is

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kozzney, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Kozzney

Kozzney Private E-2

I bought an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ and a MSI KT4 Ultra MS-6590 Motherboard a few years ago. The processor was recognized as a 2100+ until a few months ago when I tried to upgrade the BIOS from 1.1 to 1.4. The upgrade went smoothly until I rebooted and it did not recognize my CPU as a 2100+. It said it was a 1500+. So I downgraded the BIOS to 1.1 again but still it does not recognize my CPU as a 2100+. It still calls it a 1500+. My computer runs fine, but I know it is not running at the speed of a 2100+. Both in the BIOS setup screen and in Windows, it calls it a 1500+. Could anyone please tell me why this has happened and how to fix it?
    Thanks very much.

2. Suttin

Suttin Private E-2

Are you shure the FSB is the same? I oced my cpu and it said it went from like a 1500+ to a 2800+

3. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Suttin has the right idea.

Flash back to the 1.4 BIOS, they were fine :p

after the flash, you will need to reconfigure your BIOS, which is a fairly simply duty despote the number of options.

you need to locate the CPU FSB (or clock speed as its sometimes called) and set it to 133mhz.

also locate the multiplier setting, i believe in your case it hsould be x13 (133FSB x13 = 1.73ghz = 2100+ )

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

When flashing Bios ( Most motherboards) all Bios settings return to Default settings. ( Default setting CPU FSB is 100 which gave you underclocked CPU rating it at XP 1500, check your cpu fsb it needs to be set to 133fsb)

Simple fix = Enter BIOS change settings to accomadate your hardware.

As "In Years To Come" posted the XP 2100 CPU stock speed = 1.73ghz
    Here Is Free Bios Guide:
    http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=7&var1=18
    Besides your CPU speed/timings, you probably have other settings that should be adjusted, check memory & graphics related settings.

Just about every PC that Ive ever worked on/Repaired had at least one or more bios settings that was set incorrectly.
    The guide I posted will explain most bios settings & will provide reccomended settings.

When flashing Bios, the first thing to do is before you boot to windows is to go directly to bios & make needed adjustments.
    Usually where you download bios there should be information telling what the bios upgrade will do or fix.

5. Kozzney

Kozzney Private E-2

Thank you guys so much!!! The processor is recognized as a 2100+ now! I can't tell you how happy that makes me! :) Thanks for your excellent help guys!!!

6. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

glad to help, and Welcome to MajorGeeks! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds