Motherboard problems(North/Southbridge Burnt out??)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by digitalgenius, Feb 6, 2005.

1. digitalgenius

digitalgenius Private E-2

Hi all!

1. Have an AthalonXP running on an EPOX 8KHA+ motherboard. A TV Tuner card, Audio Card, AGP 8X, USB 2.0 and LAN card have taken up all the PCI slots. Has 512 MB of RAM. 2 HDD(Seagate)- 160GB & 60 GB. Win XP.

2.Recently, the computer would reboot for no reason. On trying to reinstall XP, the Blue Screen of Death would appear in the advanced stages of setup-i.e. after entering the CD key, timezone etc. This is still the case - even after wipping out both disks and removing all the extra cards I had!!

3.Upgraded BIOS and did following diagnostics-
    Seagate tools for HDD. 60GB disk had 1 bad sector. 160GB disk was clean
    Did a RAM test too and it passed.
    Tried to reinstall but got the same blue screen.

4. Later, noticed that the small fan on top of the North/South bridge chip was not rotating. Dont know for how long this could have been the state. Could the chip have been damaged? Is there some diagnostics that can be run from DOS itself? Dont have any OS on my HDDs now!

Ideas please!!!

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

My first step would be to get the inoperable fan running, and then go from there. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds