Removable drive bug - ghost drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mindblaster, Feb 6, 2005.

1. mindblaster

mindblaster Private E-2

sup guys
    I got sort of weird problem here
    my jump drive was connected to the pc and somethin happened that froze everything. I couldnt use CTRL+ALT+DEL or click on shut down, so I had to boot the pc
    My jump drive was ok. I took it off after the boot and everything was fine. but now somethin is happenin:
    Windows is holdin E: as if it has a removable drive connected there and it dont let me eject it or anything. A msg appears when I try sayin:
    "An error was encountered trying to eject 'Removable Disk ( E: )'."
    Does anyone knows how can I force remove this "ghost drive"?

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

It should be found under device manager, I believe under mass storage adapters or something like that. Just delete it from there and it will go away.

Alternativly if you're really stuck you can right click "my computer" select manage and go to Storage>Disk Management then simply right click on drive E and select change drive letters and paths. Just remove the current drive letter.

Of course removing the drive letter isn't the best option because windows will still think it's there, it just won't show under XP. Which isn't actually a problem, it's just messy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds