3 1/2 inch floppy disk problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tarbashfour, Feb 7, 2005.

1. tarbashfour

tarbashfour Private E-2

Hello, I am posting because I seem to have a problem with my 3 1/2" floppy A drive. Every time I insert a disk into the A drive, my computer tries to read it but then a message appears saying "this disk is not formatted" However, I have used the same disks before to save information and they worked just fine. The message displays even when I try using a brand new floppy disk. I am not quite sure what the problem is. If anyone could help, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

(I have windows xp if that matters)

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

have you taken a blank floppy disk and formatted at requested and then tried to access it to see if it still gives you that error?

3. tarbashfour

tarbashfour Private E-2

I do not know what formatting a disk is or how to do it but I do know that the same disk worked two days ago on the same computer.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

if the same disk worked prior, then it may be corrupted. (without the disk in the drive) If you double click on my computer.. right click on the A: drive and choose properties and then the tools tab, then put the disk in the drive and select "CHECK NOW" on the error checking section (top portion).. at the next prompt check both boxes and then hit start, it may be able to repair the disk enough for you to get your data off and put it on a new disk or save it to the C: drive.

5. tarbashfour

tarbashfour Private E-2

Checking the disk does not work. Plus the same thing happens with several disks, all of which I know should work fine. Any other suggestions?

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

it possible that you could have a bad floppy drive. I would try a new one. They cost about 5-10 dollars.

7. tarbashfour

tarbashfour Private E-2

Where would I look for a new one and how do I replace it, remove the old one etc?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds