Help With Sound Card on Dell PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Docsboard, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Docsboard

Docsboard Private E-2

I bought a Dell 4700, had installed at a local shop a new data fax voice modem, upgraded to WinXP Professional, Linux partition and added a CD-RW all did not come with the original unit, so I am almost certain I invalidated the warranty.

I cannot get the sound card to work now,
    what might be wrong?
    Do I need to disable the integrated sound card on the motherboard? :)

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Yes, probably need to disable onboard sound, this can be done in bios.
    Then make sure you have installed the drivers for your sound card.

3. Docsboard

Docsboard Private E-2

Thanks ASUS, sorry of this sounds dumb, does the faxmodem work as a soundcard then?

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Dont think so, on both questions.

What kind of Faxmodem ya got, brand & model please?

Do you have both Onboard sound & PCI sound card?
    (I may have misunderstood your Question reguarding sound card I was thinking you had both)

Exactly when did sound card stop working, after the local shop, or after you installed or updraded to XP, more details may help.

5. Docsboard

Docsboard Private E-2

The on board soundcard that comes on the motherboard thanks to Dell is
    SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
    The Voice fax modem is a Multitech MT5634 ZPX PCI that the shop installed for me with the WinXP Pro upgrade, they did warn me they were having problems with getting the soundcard to work after the upgrade, I thought I'd fix ity myself
    Thanks for the help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds