Video card TV-out S-video 4pin vs 7pin

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bry_M42, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Bry_M42

Bry_M42 Private E-2

Hey guys,

I got a BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC card and it didn't come with any TV-out cables. It has a jack for "s-video 4 pin" but I want to use RCA because that's what one of my TV's use. I pulled out my Asus cable which is a 7 pin RCA. My question is, can I cut off the 3 pin in the middle and just plug it into my video card like a 4 pin RCA inside of using all 7? Will this work?

Thanks,

Bryan

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

OK, I'm a little confused here. RCA cables are the ones with one big pin (not really a pin mind you) in the middle of it and that's all. The video RCA cable is yellow. There is no such thing as a 7 or 4 pin RCA cable.

I'm sort of guessing that what you're refering to is one end of the cable is sort of like an svideo cable but with a couple extra pins. If that is what you mean then that is a video card specifc plug which general has a special plug that goes into it to give you extra ports. It only exsists because the back of the card doesn't have enough physical space to provide all the ports without it.

In other words you couldn't take your video card specific cable and plug it into the svideo port on the new card, since that cable isn't actually for svideo.

You can buy svideo to RCA cables. They only cost a couple bucks.

Sorry if this isn't correct but I got a little confused by your question.

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Must be talking about S-Video, is avaible in both 4 pin & 7 Pin, adaptors/Gender changers & cables are avaible.
    You can also purchase S-Video to RCA Adaptors/Gender changer or cables that do the same.

Here is S-Video pinout see bottom of page:
    http://www.weethet.nl/english/video_connect_pc2tv.php

Seems the pins are the same, other than the extra three!

4. Bry_M42

Bry_M42 Private E-2

Whoops, guys sorry to confuse you. I meant 4 and 7 pin S-Video. I have one S-video 7 pin. My video card needs a 4 pin S-Video. I have the 7 pin S-video to RCA cable but I was thinking of cutting the 3 pins in the middle then plugging it into my card, would that work? Or are the 4 and 7 pin configurations different?

thanks,

Bry

5. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

No you can't cut the 3 pins in the middle on the S-Video to RCA cable. One of the extra three pins is used for RCA (composite = RCA). Which is why the three extra pins are present on the S-video to RCA cable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds