Thinking of a LCD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bee, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Bee

Bee Private E-2

Do I have to go to 12ms or is 16ms good enough? I'm not a hard core gamer but I like the odd one. I want a 19" LCD, do I watch for pixels size, contrast ratio or response time..And do I have to go with DVI or is this more hype than what is required? What is the most important?? I know all of them are.. but I'm cheap and finanically challenged..Please help

Thanks,

By the way I'm running: Win XP home (SP2), FX 5700 (not LE), P4 - 3.0 ghz @ 800 mhz FSB, 512 mb ram, Soundblaster live 5.1, 400 watt PS..BLAH BLAH BLAH..I know the system sucks..

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

If you're not going to be picky about it with games and stuff then 16ms is fine. Also unless you plan to use high resolutions like 1600x1200 and above you don't have to worry about the other stuff too much either.

Basicly unless you're a really picky graphic artist or gamer you can pretty much buy any 19" LCD and you'll be OK. Although I got to say a 19" LCD isn't exactly a cheap mans monitor. I mean they start aroudn the 400$ mark, unless you find them on sale.

3. Bee

Bee Private E-2

Will I notice a huge difference between a CRT and a 16ms response time LCD when it comes to games?? Or is it a relatively small difference??

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Big difference? No. I have 16 and see rare cases I wish it was 12. Dont forget a lot of games also have in game movies, so why skimp in this area? Check into pixel return policies, as well, they are getting better. I got Viewsonic, love em. If your lookingat a 19" I will make a sugestion:

I got the VX910:
    http://majorgeeks.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2873817

Of course, this means a VX912 had to be released about 2 days later:
    http://majorgeeks.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=4001241#description

The price difference now is minimal, go 12ms. Its sort of like looking at a new chip, lets say the 3.6 gig is 780 dollars and the 3.8 gig is 820 dollars. I would buy the 3.8 everytime.

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

6. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

The CRTS are still best buy for your money, unless you can't actually fit a CRT somewhere you are just spending alof of extra $$

7. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Samsung and BenQ among others have released 8 ms LCD's, which are fine for all but the most demanding games and DVD's.

The equivalent CRT rating in LCD's for pixel response is 6 ms which is expected later this year, but 8 ms is fine.

The main concerns with LCD's are viewing angles, contrast, brightness, pixel return warranty and pixel response.

DVI as well as VGA connectivity is also preferable.

8. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

... or if you dont want to lug it around, clean it or maybe you just want to relieve strain on your eyes. You can go to a car dealer and buy cheap cars and expensive cars. Theres a reason Ford sells Lincolns and GM has Cadillac.

Digging Insomniacs info above as well.

9. nicetime

nicetime Private E-2

Samsung...it's just that simple

10. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ok, whatever :p

Personally I'd be picky about contrast ratio, since I do quite a bit of graphics work and I don't want to think my final graphic is fine, then see it on a CRT and see loads of selection areas where the colour didn't quite match... etc.. :p

11. nicetime

nicetime Private E-2

well seeing as the thread was titled THINKING OF AN LCD..... Samsung has some of the better LCD's in the Biz for the standard home user......contast ratio etc....

12. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

My 2 cents... I have an NEC and I love it. Personally, I think you get used to the response time, whatever it is. I really don't notice my screen ghosting at all. (Though I know it does a little. I can tell if I look at it side by side with a CRT.) Your eyes kind of get used to whatever monitor you use most.

If I were you, I'd go to your local computer shops and look at the monitors. Then pick which one looks best to you. I wouldn't worry about response time. 16ms or 12ms will be just fine. Especially if you don't play a lot of games.

13. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

IMO ... if you do alot of office work and don't need good color go with an LCD they are less strain on your eyes and have a small footprint ... if you want to play games or movies etc CRTs are the way to go much brighter picture, better color

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds