How do I add ram to my dell cpx...please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bigjack08, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Bigjack08

Bigjack08 Private E-2

I have recently bought a 256MB ram memory stick. My dell has a 128MB stick already installed. If I exchange the sticks computer does not start, also if I put the 256MB stick in the DIMM B slot computer will not start. What do I need to do????

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Is the new one you bought compatible with your motherboard? Also, what type of ram is your new one and what type is your old one? As in, pc3200, pc2700, pc2100 etc...

3. Bigjack08

Bigjack08 Private E-2

new one PC133U old one unsure.....bought from person who sad it was compatable.....new one IBM

4. help

help Corporal

m8, the ram clock speed is not compatibe with your mobo, also check to see that you aint running sd ram and ddr ram at the same time :) , you need to buy ram that will work at the same clock speed as your fsb, and you cant run sd ram and ddr ram at the same trime. return the new ram, take your old ram as a refernce to the store, the folkjs there may help u

5. Bigjack08

Bigjack08 Private E-2

My new RAM does match the old and is compatable. Windows cannot start it gives error message that file c:\WINDOWS\system32\drives\isapnp.sys is missing or corrupt. Then advises to run repair from disc and expand file from there. Problem now is that it asks for an administrators password, yet I did not set one???? Any ideas how I can solve this......please

6. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

If you didn't set a password, try leaving it blank and hit enter! :)

7. akm

akm Sergeant

Re: How do I add ram to my dell... please help

Hmmm... was going to start a new thread with a similar question but maybe this is a good place to put it... let me know if not and Ill get it off to another thread.
    I recently made an online purchase of 512mb ram for my Dell 'Inspiron 8200' from 'Crucial Technology' and used their online selection process ('Crucial Memory Advisor') to determine if the memory was ok for my Dell.
    My original question was to ask about how best to install it with the 128mb ram chip that is currently in the Dell.
    But now I think I have (at least) 2 questions...
    1. Is the new 512mb ram the right match for my Dell?
    2. How best to install it with the current 128mb ram?
    Any helpful (ie, other than what is this guy doing installing memory in his laptop) thoughts?

8. akm

akm Sergeant

Re: How do I add ram to my dell... please help

Well, no reply yet in 24hr... maybe Im in the wrong forum and/or there is a better place to post this question.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds