Hardware update, problem solved?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by koppinjo, Feb 9, 2005.

1. koppinjo

koppinjo Private E-2

I have been posting for about 6 weeks regarding my computer which would shut down while performing certain tasks (Installation of windows xp sp2, 'Limewire', etc). No warning, just complete loss of everything like I unplugged it from the wall. Right before it would shut down, there would be a sound that got louder and louder, then *click-beeeeeooouuuuu*...off. So, I unplugged my 40 gig hard drive which is almost 3 years old (maxtor that came with a dell which I removed and put in a custom one). Now, after unplugging it, no problems installing sp2 or with anything else for that matter. I know through testing that Limewire and sp2-installation were the elements that caused shutdown, also my limewire was saving the downloaded files to my 40 gig drive that is now removed.

Does this make sense? I thought it might be a mobo problem, but it looks like this is not the case, thank the lord. Anyway, lemme know if this is a reasonable assumption or if my hopes of a 'fixed' computer are in vane

-Joe

P4 prescott 2.8GHz, 800fsb, 1Gb cache
    1 stick 512mb PC3200 ddr
    160Gb seagate HDD 7200 rpm
    ***40Gb maxtor HDD 7200 rpm (problem source I think)
    cd-rw drive
    dvd +/-r drive
    floppy drive
    ATI Radeon 9800 pro agp 8x
    PCI modem
    On-board LAN (in use)
    MOBO-ASRock P4S61
    500W mad-dog surge/short-circuit protected PSU

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

It is possible if youre 40 gig is on the way out. I have seen weirder, unexplainable problems. I like your reasoning, its well known in the tech workd to pull everything but the video card (sound, cdrom, modem, network, extra drives, etc) and re-add them one at a time until the problem is discovered. At this point, you know what the problem is and you need to figure out if it is a configuration, driver or bad hardware issue.

Of course, I assume you did a complete safe mode virus scan.

3. koppinjo

koppinjo Private E-2

Of course :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds