Dvd-r (Minus R) Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tribulatifather, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Tribulatifather

Tribulatifather Private E-2

Okay... Not sure where I should have posted this but I have a problem with some Dvd-(minus)R's that I bought... Every time I try and burn something when I use Nero 6 Ultra, Dvd-lab, D.I.K.O., Dvd Decrypter, Magic Iso and a few other burning utilities, they all say the same thing... "Illegal Disc." What does that mean... I bought them at a WalMart. So... am I doing something wrong? Or is it my dvd burner? I have a 4x TDK+\-R burner... Can someone give me an opinion?

2. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

What kind of DVDs are they? What type of DVDs are they?
    What is your model dvd burner?

3. Tribulatifather

Sorry for the late reply...But, anyways, I bought memorex 8x compatible dvd-r's and my burner is a TDK...

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I just went through the "illegal disk" problems on a friend's computer. Turned out that the DVD burner didn't like the brand of blank DVD's that he had bought. Tried two of my blanks and they burned fine with no problems. So, you might try a different brand of blank DVD's or swap some with friends to find a brand that your burner likes. Hope this helps! :)

5. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Have you tried 8x compatible DVDs before? I think you'll find you can only use the 2-4x disks in your burner.

6. Tribulatifather

Thanx guys... I bought some Sony dvd+r's and they seem to work better than minus R's... What the heck is the difference anyway?

7. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

DVD-R is alittle more compatitable with other DVD players/drives, most likely would not be an issue unless you have an old DVD player.
    I use both +R & -R, zero problems, price usually about the same.

I buy most dvd media online, some web sites have compatibility page.
    I stick to preminum media, Like Verbatim, Ritek.
    Look for media containing AZO metal dye, or branded.
    One of my favorites for movies back up is Verbatim movie disc, I buy the 4x stuff it burns at 8x on my Nec burner.
    Most of the stuff at local retailers is low end stuff like Memorex

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds