Cannot transfer shared files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tinman7722, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinman7722

tinman7722 Private E-2

Within my home network, I can see all computers and can share all files that are enabled to do so, but cannot move the shared files from one computer to another. I get a stop telling me that the files cannot be move and to make sure they are not write protected, the disk is not full or the file is in use.

The files I am attempting to move are MP3 that were recorded from records to the HD.

All computer have XP home or pro working through a d-link router.

At a complete loss.

Tinman

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Check the permissions on your shared files. Which os is on the pc doing the sharing?

3. tinman7722

tinman7722 Private E-2

Permissions are set to share the file on the network for all users and allow users to change the files. The machine where the files reside is winxp home.

4. mrfusion70

mrfusion70 Private E-2

Couple of things you can do here!
    1. Just use your Shared Documents folder to move you files from computer to computer by going into my computer and right clicking on Shared Documents and going into sharing and security. Then click on the warning if you are asked if you understand the risks of sharing. Once in, you will see an option to click called share this folder on the network, click that and the next option will turn from greyed out to allow network users to change my files....you can try leaving this unchecked and see of what you want to do works. Then put the files you want to share or copies of them into that folder and try to get them from the other computers.

or and

2. Run the network wizard and follow the steps to setup a home network! This is found through the control panel, network and internet connections, network connections and it will be on the left. (Setup a home or small office network)

or and

3. Any downloaded firewalls like zone alarm or norton internet security on your computers will need to be configured to allow the other computers through on your trusted local zone. If this is your problem post a reply with the firewall that you are running and one of us will help you configure it!

JJ

5. tinman7722

tinman7722 Private E-2

I tried opening the "C" drive where the files reside and went through the steps as you suggest but received the same response while attempting to move the files. I can try the same on "My Compter" and see what happens.

I had trouble building the network in the beginning, but ran the wizard and was then able to share the files.

The windows firewall is disabled and I was running Zone Alarm which has since been uninstalled. I also disabled the anti virus programs on both machines. One has MCafee the other a trial version of Norton. The only active firewall in the router, nothing within the network.

I will run the network wizard again and see what happens.

Could ZA have left some residuals that are causing the problem?

Thanks.

6. tinman7722

tinman7722 Private E-2

Well, had windows firewall enabled. Disabled it. No virus programs or firewalls running. We I try to transfer the shared folder still get the stop that says "Cannot copy "file" Access is denied. Make sure disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use."

Any chance windows media player is tying this up? Thought I would ask before I uninstall it and try again.....

Desperately typing,

Tinman

7. Marty4016

Marty4016 Private E-2

Any chance the files are encrypted?

8. tinman7722

tinman7722 Private E-2

No, files are not encripted......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds