are there sabateurs killing filesharer's Harddrives?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frakeer, Feb 11, 2005.

1. frakeer

frakeer Private E-2

I just ripped a DVD (I am Canadian so I am allowed 1 backup copy of any data I purchased) and when I was finished transfered the immage from C: to D: immediately after the transfer I tried to explore D: and I got a drive not ready error. Tried again and was asked if I would like to format drive now. This is the second time I have gone through this, the first time I lost 160 Gb of backed up cd's (Yeah! I cried) Fortunately this time I only lost 9 movie images. I assume The TOC of thedrive in question is either corrupt or has fallen victum to a "DATA DEATH RAY(tm)" of some sort. First off...Does any body know how to remove the "unformated" status of a hard drive? Secondly... If I find out who is going around frelling peoples hard disks "I WILL KILL YOU" <said in best Stewie voice>.

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

You can't remove "unformatted status" as you put it. Usually this occurs because of a failing hard drive that is dieing/dead.

On rare occasions it could be a virus, but usually it's going to be a failing HD, it's not someone going around deleting stuff off your HD though.

3. frakeer

frakeer Private E-2

The drive is only 3 months old... should I ship it back to maxtor now....

4. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Well if you want you can start the RMA processes with maxtor, they make you downlaod powermax and test it. They'll only RMA it with an error code from it. If it passes all the tests in there it most likely means the drive is fine.

You may also want to check for viruses just to make sure it's not soemthing else as well.

5. frakeer

frakeer Private E-2

Just reloaded the ghost copy of the clean install so that should have killed the virus.... Just downloaded powermax and will run now... "hold on to your butts..." Samuel L Jackson's Character in Jurasic Park

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds