no router , can i still do it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ryuduo, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Ryuduo

Ryuduo Private First Class

hey guys. is it possable to have internet on both my computers with out a router? i did somethine like static IP but that only lets me share with my other computer. I have cable modem and i have two computers with lan cards. I also have lots of spare cat 5 cables.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

One computer would have to have two nics, much easier to just buy a cheap router.

3. Ryuduo

ah, how is that done? can u explain? and how much does a cheap router cost>

4. dedub

dedub Corporal

There are other ways using software, Windoze has ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) built in. Its in almost all OS's if Im not mistaken. With that option all you need is a HUB or a Dumb Swithch which will run you 20 to 30 dollars. You can read up on it in the Windoze help and support. There are also 3rd party software programs that do it. Do a google search for Software NAT programs or Proxie servers. Of course Colemanguy had the best recommendation and that's dropping $50 for a cheap router. I just wanted you to know there are other options out there for cheaper, you would of course have to know a little about networking before you tackle a configuration like that.

Good luck

5. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

If you want to go with the two NIC's approach it's actually very simple to setup. Windows will pretty much handle everything automaticly. It's the cheapest choice, as it would cost you only the $10 for the second NIC. Of course on the down side the computer with two NIC's would have to be on for the second computer to get online. Also, such a setup doesn't leave room to add another computer later unless you plan to pay more.

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

As others already posted, ya dont need a router.
    But getting router should be considered.

All Local retail chain's like Bestbuy, Officemax, Office Depot, have router's on sale, many times with rebates, most every week one store or the other will have on sale.
    Online is always great deal if ya shop around.
    I see em for $29 or less almost every week, both wireless & hardwire.
    I bought my Dlink router for $20
    Also have 5 port switch, $14, connected to it, I can have up to 7 PC's online at the same time with my setup (sweet for $34 and few cables)

Couple nice things about router is has hardware firewall, very simple to setup.
    Any PC on my network can go online without any other PC being turn on.
    I have Multi Fuction networked printer/scanner/copier etc. connected directly to router so any pc connected to my network can use it, without any other pc turned on.

7. Ryuduo

yah, how do i do it wit the 2 cards in 1 computer?

8. samserver

samserver Private E-2

you gotta make 1 pc the router
    go to MS and lookup msnd tutorials
    MicroSoft Devlopment Network
    it's all out there in sticky forms
    and yes it's easy'r to get a router especialy the security parts

good luck
    PS linksys is the easyest and best (2 cents)

9. RickM

RickM Private First Class

Wow.. just buy a cheap 4 port hub, less than 20 bucks. Most Cable companies use DHCP an will give you 3 IP's.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds