Hook Up 1 PC TO Another?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by indyattic, Feb 12, 2005.

1. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

I am not a geek, so please don't assume the answer is so simple I must be asking for something else.

I have an old computer that has a tax program with info on it. I have a new computer that has the same program on it. The program wants to know if I want to bring over my old information, which would save me a great deal of typing.

Is there a simple way I can hook the old computer up to the new computer long enough to get the program to import the information I need?

The old computer has something very wrong, in that it won't recognize printers or disc drives, which is why I have a new computer. Otherwise I would just write the data to a disc and move on.

Thanks in advance,
    Angie

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

there are a few different options ... you could buy this USB cord that can connect two computers

or buy a USB flashcard and transfer them that way... I'm thinking that would be the easiest

or set up a network and transfer the files that way

or remove the HDD from the old computer and set it to slave in the new computer

3. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

Thanks for your answer. I was thinking that #4 would be the way to go, but I wasn't sure if I needed to remove the drive, or if there was some way I could just hook up a wire of some sort between the two. I'll go google that topic.

I'm just hoping that I can tell the program that the files are on drive X (or whatever) because I'm not sure which file it will import. It's a tax program - we use it once per year.

I'll go google that topic.

Is a USB Flashcard like a small memory device that plugs into the USB port? If so, I have one of those around here somewhere. It came with the new PC, but I've never used it.

I'm not sure it will recognize it though. LIke I said, old PC has issues.

Angie

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Another thought
    E-mail your file/info to your self.

5. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Which is fine, except if the old computer won't recognize his drives...

Slaving the drive isn't that hard. I can explain it easily, if I know what kind of computer it is, or what it looks like.

6. Ciz

Ciz Corporal

from how it sounds, simplicty could rule here.

If all it needs is the folder in which the information is stored, or a place in which to retieve the files, using a usb device or even just burning them to CD (if you have a writer that is).

Also e-mailing, simple as punch... so long as you are given an option as to where to import the files from...

all the best

-Ciz

7. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

The old one or the new one? The old one was built by Computer Retardanance or something...they're the ones who mucked it up so bad when the motherboard died. Oops - I'm getting started.

Anyway, the new one is a Gateway.

All suggestions appreciated, but I'd really like to hook it as a slave, so I can go through and pick off things that I want.

Also, I attached a scan of the drive (I think :) )

Thanks again,
    Angie, who is actually a she.

Attached Files:

8. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

9. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

Oh my! How do I determine which info I don't need? ATA, IDE, BIOS, PCI... :rolleyes:

I've been reading the Seagate Custom INstallation Manual, and I pretty much convinced I could do it. Your link has a lot more info though.

10. trentw2323

trentw2323 Private E-2

the asiest way i think for you is to temorarly disconnect your cd drive on your new computer, look at your cd drive jumpers on the back. (make sure your computer is turned off and umplugged from the wall)It will most likely be set to slave "a jumper is a piece of metal on the back that connects 2 pins." Make the jumper on your old drive look like the jumper on your cd rom drive. Use the cdroms connectors to connect your old hard drive. There will be a red line on the side od the thin wide cable. Make sure that red mark is closest to the side of the drive with the plugin for the power cable"the 4 pin thingy". Turn on your computer and it should show up under my computer as a drive. Copy all needed files from your old drive to new. When done shut down pc, unplug, disconnect the power to the computer, unplug the old hard drive and reconnect the cdrom drive.

11. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Trent has the correct idea, although you don't need to look at the CD drive jumpers. Just set the jumpers on the Seagate, according to master settings, and plug the cables in. Hopefully, your cable has a polarized stud, so that there is only oneway for it to fit in the drive. If not, look for that red line, and check for the 1 on the pins. It should be next to the Power connector, but I've seen it reversed, so check and be sure.

If your new computer doesn't recognize the drive, then restart, and hit del, or F2 and it should send you into the Bios. From there, change which ever IDE the CD was on, to Auto. That'll do the trick.

12. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

Mission accomplished - thank all of you so much!

I actually did end up putting the old HD in the new PC as a secondary drive. It's very cool to see that it worked.

You guys got me so fired up I also went out to the garage and pulled a floppy drive out of another carcass and put that in also.

Thanks so much again!

Angie

13. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

That's what the forum is here for. And you're very welcome.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds