Should be simple: networking PC and Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by p68fury3, Feb 12, 2005.

1. p68fury3

p68fury3 Private E-2

I have a PC and a laptop both running XP Home and have them connected with a cross-over LAN cable. I edited the network settings of the LAN connection by manually setting the TCP/IP address to 10.0.0.100 on the PC, 10.0.0.101 on the laptop and addressed both subnet masks to 255.255.255.0

Still there is no evidence of a successful network link, the laptop's files aren't visible from the PC and viceversa. I also tried start/search/files&folders/other objects/other networked computers from both but with no results.

The LED's next to the LAN port on both network cards light up, so I have active adapters and a connection.

I tried the same configuration using the 1394 Firewire cable to connect the two but that didn't work either. The connection was shown as active but that's all.

What else has to be done to tell the computers that they're on a network?

2. tinman7722

tinman7722 Private E-2

Is the windows firewall enabled? Or you might just try running the wizard. I have found this site most usefull and added to many posts... http://www.ezlan.net/

3. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

10.0.0.100 is a Class A network address. You would need the subnet set to 255.0.0.0

Your better off changing your addressing scheme to 192.168.0.100, 101, etc. This is a Class C address and requires a subnet of 255.255.255.0

The first one two or three octets sort of "define" the network. By using 10 as the first octet, you've automatically made it a class A network. The subnet has to match though, so you've got to change one or the other.

Steve

4. 44039

44039 Private First Class

Have you tried pinging one machine from the other? Also, make sure you have the folder that contains the files shared. It also helps to make sure that they are in the same workgroup (if possible with XP home). I've also seen where it helps to have both signing on with the exact same username and password. Sorry, I work mostly with 2000, 2003 and XP Pro, and not sure if Home has some of the same networking features.

Scott
    http://www.AAApcMechanic.com

5. p68fury3

p68fury3 Private E-2

Thanks tinman7722, elvievets and 44039 for the advice. I will try resetting to Class C and disabling the firewall which never crossed my mind as being a possible cause.

Do the subnet masks have to have the same values or should they be different in the last entry, for example 255.255.255.0 and the laptop is 255.255.255.1? Sorry, never done this before and maybe this is definig the common domain should then they should be identical.

Does anyone have experience using the Firewire 1394 interface to link computers? Both my PC and my laptop have this interface and both are running XP Home. Ideally I would like to keep my PC hooked to my DSL/internet connection via the NIC/LAN cable and use the 1394 to make file sharing between PC and laptop possible.

Appreciate all the help that you've got time for .... THANKS!

6. p68fury3

p68fury3 Private E-2

Thanks, I've found enough information and additional links on networking to keep me busy for the next week.

Thanks to all and to majorgeeks.com for the support.

p68fury3

7. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

The subnet mask will be the same for each PC in the network. Set both the laptop and desktop to 255.255.255.0 for a Class C network.

Steve

8. RickM

RickM Private First Class

Just an FYI, Its a private address, It doesnt matter if its an A, B or C. It is a class A, but it should make no difference.

Class A = 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0
    10.0.0.0 - Network Address
    10.0.0.1 - 254 usable addresses
    10.0.0.255 - broadcast

I use a class A on my network without issue. So this is not the problem.

Check to see if you can ping each PC from the other. If so, then check they are on the same "workgroup".

Then disable your firewall.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds