networking with dsl

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by firefghteremt809, Feb 13, 2005.

1. firefghteremt809

firefghteremt809 Private E-2

ok im pretty much computer smart but this is driving me crazy. my moms business just got DSL and i hooked up all the computers on a network which was doing fine until we got dsl, so now how do i get the secondary computer to go online while keeping the main computer on the internet at the same time? everytime i switched computers it would ask me to enter a password and terminate the other computers connection......i have a proxy server but that worked for dial-up, and i need some ideas how to do it for dsl, we called earthlink up and they said they werent going to help us b/c it was a "outside" unit (the one they dont sell) any comments would be great thanks

2. trentw2323

trentw2323 Private E-2

you need a dsl router. this will allow multiple computer to connect to one source. OR you could setup network sharing on one computrer, and set the gateway for the other computer to that computers ip address. But then the computer with the share would have to be on whenever the other person wanted to use the net.

3. firefghteremt809

firefghteremt809 Private E-2

how do i know what the gateway is and where do i set it up on the NIC card config or the web browser

4. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

You have 2 choices,

1) Get a LinkSys G Cable/DSL Router and run cat 5 cable to all computers. Or Get a LinkSys Wireless G Router and get Wireless PCI Cards for other computers.

2) Enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the main machine with the DSL Modem. To do this you would have to manually set the default gateway for each computer. The default gateway is usually the IP address of the main computer. This would work BUT remember your sharing so the speed is passed out among all those online and it would cause it to be slower.

NOTE: When using ICS the main computer MUST be online and powered on at all times for other users to be connected to the ineternet.

I do networking everyday at my office, what you need to do in my personal opinion is get a LinkSys Cable/DSL Router and go from there. Doing this is much easier for everyone wanting internet access.

If you want to know how to setup a gateway, let me know. If you decided to go this route that is.

5. samserver

samserver Private E-2

linksys access page
    open browser type 191.168.1.1
    password default should be admin this should be changed asap
    make sure cookies and java are enabled
    set your isp up on this first page
    check the static ip setup
    check status page for your wan ip go back and enter this
    use 192.168.1.0 as default ip
    use the dns ip's in status and add those
    go to dhcp and disable
    add 192.169.1.1 as starting address
    subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0
    in every machine you have you will need to config the nics as static ip's
    only thing to change is the ip address for each one 192.168.1.104; .105;.106
    all other info is the same as from the router

6. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

The following collection of links might serve as a Short Basic tutorial concerning the issue of Internat Sharing.

Link to: Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing.

Link to: Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...?

The page above was written by me ages ago. You might ignore the prices and Brand recommendations. The principles however are still the same.

Link to: Diagram of Broadband Connection with Cable/DSL Router.

Link to: DSL PPPOE and Cable/DSL Routers.

Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network Settings, and Sharing.

Link to: Windows Network - Installing & Sharing.

:cool:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds