HELP with Asus_P5P800 & Maxtor 250 SATA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mroogleman, Feb 13, 2005.

1. mroogleman

mroogleman Private E-2

I was checking out this site and see a lot of knowledgeable people and wanted to check if anyone could help me out.

I'm building a new PC for my sister and ran into an issue.

Motherboard = P5P800 (775 socket)
    CPU = Intel 540 (3.2 Gig)
    Harddrive = 250 Gig Maxtor SATA w16mb
    DVD = LG DVD 16X IDE

Everytime I plug the SATA drive in, the BIOS freezes. If I restart the system and hold the DEL button (immediately) it will boot up and then display an F1 for BIOS or F2 for Continus to error. The error says something about Overclocking failed although my Overclocking is set to Standard and not chosen. If I boot up and wait a second to press the DEL button the system will not let me continue and appears frozen (I've let it sit for 20 min with no error)

I did hold the DEL button and pressed continue and installed XP successfully, but I don't want to have to teach her how to press DEL follwed by F2 everytime she wants to turn the power on.

If I unplug the SATA HD, the PC will boot up without any errors and will load the XP CD in the Dvd Burner.

I've tried playing with the IDE config and it still doesn't do anything. I Currently have it set as following:
    IDE Operate Mode = ENHANCED MODE
    Enchanced Mode Support oN = SATA
    IDE Detect Time Out = 35

I'm puzzled as to why I get an overclock error when I boot up with the SATA, and when I unplug it I get no errors. When I press DEL and F2 I can bootup fine as well?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated .

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds