Internet Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davetin, Feb 13, 2005.

1. davetin

davetin Private E-2

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who's not very computer literate and is struggling with his internet since installing a router.

Before the router, the connection was never 100% stable but would still stay connected for at least an hour even on a bad day, but usualyl about 5-6 hours. Since the router was installed, everything has gone wrong. If he signs on to MSN messenger, he doesn't receive several messages whilst still being signed in, only to be soon signed out or disconnected (or both)

Similarly when I try to connect to his PC to play online games I cannot anymore, all since the router was installed. OBviously this isn't the biggest problem but I just thoguht I'd drop it in.

His ISP is Pipex I think, 512kpbs, although that's from memory.

I've attatched two screen shots he sent me when I was trying to solve his problems, I don't know if they are of any use but what the hey.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys

Attached Files:

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Not sure about his MSN Messenger problem, but if you want to play online games on a PC behind a router, it's probable you'll need to map a port or range of ports in the router to the LAN IP address of the PC. You need to log into the router's administration interface to do so.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds