3D Phantom XP-3800 SiS 315E 64MB AGP will not go above Dx6 hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Electrolyte, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Electrolyte

Electrolyte Private E-2

Hi all. I've been having a problem with my 3D Phantom graphics card not going above Dx6 hardware mode, when it has Dx8 hardware.

When I install the graphics card with the latest drivers and try a game such as HL2, it reports it is in Dx6 hardware mode and not Dx8 as it should be (meaning it lacks performance and doesn't play the game correctly since a lot of functions are disabled). It also will not go above 2x AGP mode when it supports 4x. My motherboard has a VIA KT600 chipset, and the motherboard supports up-to 8x AGP. Drivers for my motherboard are fully up-to-date.

The spec of my system:

AMD Duron 1.8GHZ
    1.28GB PC2700 Kingston Value memory
    Asus A7V600-X motherboard
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Creative 3D Blaster 4 MX420 (supports Dx7, and works in Dx7, but the SiS is Dx8, so games would play better)
    Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 40GB ATA-100 HDD
    Tagan 480W PSU (new version with 1 AGP GFX card port, 1 PCI-E GFX port and 4 SATA connectors (meaning 8 molexs)).

Any ideas?

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

i would reload your mobos drivers ... particularly Vias 4-in-one GART drivers ...

but before you do .... there is an issue with those drivers and service pack 2 for windows XP ... so if that is your OS watch out for that

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

4. Electrolyte

Electrolyte Private E-2

Sorry I'm running Windows 2000 Professional, Service Pack 4.

5. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

what does dxdiag say? do you have problems running those tests? are fast writes enabled as well as the correct AGP mode in the BIOS?

also I might note that you do not have a very good graphics card and aren't going to be able to play HL2 with all the latest bells and whistles ... and I'm wondering why you are using two sound cards ... I would ditch the 3D Blaster, I don't think that will solve your problem but I would think it would only complicate a troubleshooting process

6. Electrolyte

Electrolyte Private E-2

That's my graphics card. Creative 3D Blaster 4 MX420.

I know I won't be able to play HL2 the best, but at least it will be better than my MX420. I have run the DxDiag tests, set the AGP to 4X AGP etc and still the same thing.

7. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

if you have both the Sis' drivers and the 3d blasters drivers installed that can cause conflicts

8. Electrolyte

Electrolyte Private E-2

The 3D Blaster were unistalled before installing the SiS.

9. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds