help with tv magnets pulling on monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by arowen, Feb 13, 2005.

1. arowen

arowen Private E-2

i have one of those corner desks... and thought it would be great to put my tv above my comp so i can be more lazy =]

but now i have noticed that when tv is on and the crt monitor is on.. it really messes up my monitor like putting horizontal lines on it and over a bit of time ive started to notice that even after i degauss that the monitor just isnt the same

i plan to purchase a new monitor soon.. upgrading from hp pos 15" to samsung 19" flat screen

what can i do to stop them from pulling on eachother besides moving as i like the current configuration

only thing ive thought of is putting some kind of metal plate between them to stop the pulling on eachother... but i have know idea if such a thing exists or where to get it

ne and all suggestions is welcome!

thx boys!

2. SchoolTech

SchoolTech Private E-2

a metal plate would be a terrible eyesore, and may not be so effective.

as far as my knowledge extends... a plasma screen does not use deferrence of charged particles to display the screen (like a usual CRT does) and so the magnetic field produced from the TV will ahve no effect on ur monitor.

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

To the best of my knowledge, a lead plate would be the only type of metal that would stop the magnetic interference that you inquired about. :)

4. SchoolTech

SchoolTech Private E-2

correction, lead will have very little effect.

i believe you are mistaking magnetic fields with radiation??

No substance can block a magnetic field. magnetic fields must originate from a north pole and terminate at a south pole. there is no way that one can terminate a magnetic field without a south pole - also, there is no way a south pole cna exist without a north pole.

please see: http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae512.cfm

to fix the problem in this case, you would need to create a more of a metal (ferrus - such as iron) casing to go around ur tv or monitor.

If you are going to upgrade your monitor, i suggest a plasma screen as this will not experience magnetic interference from the television.

5. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

My mistake, and it seems as if you have answered your own question! :)

6. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

I think that's not quite accurate. If magnetic shielding is properly arranged, it redirects the magnetic field so that it is minimized where you need it to be.

If that were not so, computer speakers couldn't exist. Speakers have powerful magnets; they have to be shielded so that they don't mess up a CRT monitor.

Sure. Unfortunately, the link didn't work for me. Is it dead?

Go for a flat-panel LCD display. Magnetic interference won't bother it either, and it's likely to be cheaper than a plasma display.

7. arowen

arowen Private E-2

plasma and lcd blow for gaming purpose.. and well for just about everything else as well when compared to crt ... when their technology matches crt ill change but until then im looking for an answer that is something other than get a diff kind of monitor as im pretty set on that

ive heard lead and/or iron plate

i do understand that you can not get big speakers like subs close to nething magnetic or it will mess it up due to the large magnet that it takes to pull and push the air.. creating the subwoofer sound

im sure there is a way to minimize the pull on eachother, but i still dont know how

if you can think of nething else that will help me, plz state what and maybe give me the link to ur knowledge

thx as usual boys!!!!!

edit : if someone knows wehre i could buy a plate such as this plz give me that link as well

i was also thinking about something like dyno mat but i think thats for just sound only ... im googling it after i type this oh well respond as you please!

8. SchoolTech

SchoolTech Private E-2

yes, but redirection is not blocking the field. the point i was getting at is that the only a magnetic field is terminated (ie blocked) is for it to meet a south pole, and a south pole cannot exist without a north pole. i apologize for being to vague.

The link works for me...

i shall quote what it says anyway...

does this answer your question?

i daresay such a magnetic shield cannot be purchased and must be custom built. If you have the equipment, or know somewhere who will do it for you, you need a metal box (without the ends, such that it goes around the sides top and bottom) which will near-snuggly (not too tight that it may add undue heat or not be so effective) fit either your TV or your monitor. Might i recommend that, because you may need to adjust the tilt and pan of your monitor, that you design this casing for your television. I do believe a simple plate will not effectively redirect the magnetic field. Also, make sure all wires are not faulty and that proper insulation is present, i daresay you dont want a large current running through your casing - your comfortable setup may become instantly un comfortable... maybe

main thing that was stressed by Mr. Website is that you need to use a ferrus material such as iron or steel and not lead, copper, zinc etc. (galvanised iron however is ok, in fact recommendable, but refrain from using sheets, something with a bit of thickness (say 3 or 4 mm) would be necessary.

9. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Thank you for posting that article, SchoolTech.

As I said, you can't block a magnetic field, but you can redirect it so as to minimize its impact in the area of concern. The article you posted says much the same at somewhat greater length. The shielding material provides another (and more acceptable) route from north pole to south pole so that the magnetic flux is diverted away from whatever it is that you want to "shield".

Arowen -- I agree. I had not realized (from what was posted) that gaming is the intended use. LCD response times are still too slow for gaming. I have no experience with plasma, so I'll take your word for it on that score.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds