Additional Ram causes computer to Lock Up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dhartz, Feb 13, 2005.

1. dhartz

dhartz Private E-2

What I do know about computers, I have taught myself. I guess that means I know enough to be dangerous. After much research, I installed 2 - 256MB SDRAM PC133 DIMM. Per emachines non-published specs, I found I was limited to only 4-5 mfgs of these memory cards but was able to locate 2 Infineon's with the specific part #/model # that they indicated was supported.
    I have installed them and my first boot up seemed to boot up fine, although I thought it was still rather slow in bringing up SysTray and my Startup programs. I was able to verify that it was recognizing that I indeed had 512MB RAM. I then opened IExplorer and at this point I locked up. Mouse not was recognized, keyboard not recognized (lights out). Nothing would work until I shut off power. From this point forward things just got worse. Monitor goes heywire, now the monitor just goes black and my HD appears to start running on it's own. Or nothing works, monitor black, keyboard and mouse don't function, let the light indicators tell me they are still active. I get different errors msgs when I turn off power and turn back on - of course -sometimes indicating it recovered from a critical error, once saying I had a corrupted system file and to restore (which I did a system restore), I have reinstalled the keyboard and mouse driver and the graphics driver. Even booting up in Safe Mode does not make a difference. I am not sure where to begin looking. It locks up at different places every time. Sometimes while it is loading my Startup programs, but usually after it has rebooted. Sometimes on the first click of the mouse, sometimes after several mins of me going into different programs looking around. I can guarantee a lockup if I use my mouse to drag rather than click, click, click. I am naive and don't realize that by upgrading the RAM I would also have to upgrade other things? I have not upgraded or changed out anything on this computer. I should also mention I have given up and put the 128 MB Ram back in so I could get here to get help.
    Current Specs:
    CPU: Celeron 1.4ghz
    MB: Lomita
    HD: 40BG
    Current Ram: 128MB
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. badflash

badflash Private E-2

Well sense I'm confused on just what computer you have, if its store bought or built. I read e-machine also, so?

http://shop.pmimemory.com/index.asp?mfg=eMachines

One thing you must look at will your motherboard clock it down to pc100 from 133, if not you will have problems like you decribe. Also maybe the max is 256 not 512. by naming just the motherboard and not the model, they are made differently from the manufacter then a prebuilt system (store bought) so if it is an e-machine a model is needed..

3. badflash

badflash Private E-2

4. dhartz

dhartz Private E-2

You are correct in deciphering my late night scribble; it is an e-machine and according to direct e-mail information from their support, model T1440 will handle 512MB in 2 x 256 config with Infineon being a specific mfg. which they listed, along with, what I would consider the serial number. I appreciate the additional links you have provided and will go see what I can find. Of course, if e-machines would respond to all my questions and not just the one they feel like answering, I wouldn't be suspect of their support... :rolleyes:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds