My Computer Won't Shut Down

Discussion in 'Software' started by lynbrook, Feb 14, 2005.

1. lynbrook

lynbrook Private E-2

Of cource this happens occasionally but lately it won't shut down without turning it off illegally. I'm getting a message I've never seen before
    MMTASK caused a general protection fault in module MMSYSYEM.DLL at
    0004:00000502.
    My computer is running good no virus shows up when I scan AVG. When I ran ADAware SE this morning I had one critical object cookie anyuser@apmebf.c...
    The only other thing on my computer that I don't understand is an icon on the desktop that I don't know how it got there or what it is it shows two computers and fgffmjjhnhfd. When I click on it there is a globe and says Entire Network. There is no way to delete it and it doen't show up in downloaded programs. What could it be?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

This seems to be a problem if you are running Windows 98 and the new version of AVG (7.0).

Could that be the problem? If so, uninstall AVG and see if you still experience the shutdown issue.

If that seems to work, you might have to use another free anti-virus until AVG fixes the bug.

Avast Home Edition is good, http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1968.html

Let us know.

Steve

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

It would probably be Network Neighborhood.

If you don't use it or have a Network and want to remove it, the easiest way is to download TweakUI from Micro$$oft, which has an option to remove it from your Desktop.

Or if you are comfortable editing your Registry, in Windows 98SE try the following,

Click "Start", "Run" and in the "open" field type in regedit then click O.K.

In the Registry Editor, navigate your way to the following :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Right-click the right side of the screen and select New and click DWORD Value.

Name it "NoNetHood" (without quotes).

Double-click on it and in the Value section type "1" (without quotes) and click O.K.

Exit and restart.

4. lynbrook

lynbrook Private E-2

It won't let me inistall it. Says Unistall failed Local machine installation failed Installation:Error Action for file avgemc.exe:terminating process application AVGEMC [classAVGEMC_CLASS] did not stopup
    It said it would finish the process if I clicked ok for the computer to restart. I tried this twice but no luck.

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try to uninstall by using one of the following:

1. Click START -> Programs -> AVG 6.0 Anti-Virus System -> Uninstall AVG
    or
    2. Click START -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs
    or
    3. In MS DOS prompt -> go to the AVG folder -> run setup.exe /UNINSTALL

Steve

6. lynbrook

lynbrook Private E-2

I had already tried it from control panel just tried from programs & got same message. Where is MS DOS promt?

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try removing it in safe mode. Restart your computer, when you see a white bar blinking in the top left-hand corner start tapping the F8 key until you are given the option to start in safe mode.

Try uninstalling AVG and see if you get the same error message.

Steve

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

lynbrook,

I was typing fast before trying to catch you before you got off. If uninstalling in safe mode does not work, you can remove it manually with the steps below:

Boot into safe mode.
    Go to Start > Run and type msconfig > OK. Click on the Startup tab, locate and uncheck anything that looks like AVG or Grisoft. One of them should be AVG_CC and 1 or 2 more probably.

Using Windows Explorer go to the program's path ( C:/programs/AVG/ ) and delete everything there.

Go to Start > Run and type regedit > OK.
    1. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software. Delete AVG.
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software. Delete AVG.

Now restart and AVG should be gone.

Steve

9. lynbrook

lynbrook Private E-2

My computer shut down perfectly last night and I just tried it again and it did.
    Is getting rid of AVG something I need to do anyway or just if I have the problem again? The only thing I did was update on Microsoft.

10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

lynbrook,

Wait and see if you have any other problems. AVG is a good anti-virus and other than the shutdown issues you were having you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Getting the updates was a good idea and may have solved the problem, let's keep our fingers crossed. Good job.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds