i can't see anything on my monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by barexam, Feb 15, 2005.

1. barexam

barexam Private E-2

Since I don't understand the other categories, I figured I'm in the right one. When I turn on my computer, nothing appears on the monitor. I switched CPUs and it worked with another monitor except I can't change the 640 screen res. I switched back and still nothing. Another switch and the monitor shows that I need to check my security cable. Will you please help me out? Is it time to bring in the real professionals or can an amateur troubleshoot this one out?

Thanks very much!

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Possibly the monitor you are using has died. I wasn't quite following, did you say that you tried another monitor on the same cpu? If that worked and this one doesn't then it's pretty clear there must be something physically wrong with the monitor.
    Also, there are real professionals here, not just amateurs...

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Ok, we need a little translation here. CPU is Central Processing Unit and is a chip inside your computer. If by CPU you meant the entire machine then we'll just call it computer.

So, you have computer 1 and monitor 1 where monitor 1 displays nothing but black.
    When you replace monitor 1 with a different monitor to test with computer 1, you get a signal but you can't change the resolution. When you put monitor one back on computer 1, you still see nothing. If this is the case , then I would say that the monitor is dead. As for the 640x480 resolution not being able to be changed, well, it could be a couple of things. If the monitor you tested is a known good monitor and you can't change the resolution, please try updating your video card drivers.

4. barexam

barexam Private E-2

First off, I was referring to myself, the amateur, not to the people on this site. Sorry to have sent the wrong message across. Second, I switched CPUs. CPU #1 works with monitor #2 and CPU #2 works with monitor #1 (except that with CPU #1 on monitor #2, I can't change the screen res, always 640). When I switched them back, I get the same problem. Any idea what I can do? Thanks.

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

when you boot up computer 1 with monitor 1 , do you see the post screen and the "loading windows" message and then it goes black or is it black right from the get go?

6. barexam

barexam Private E-2

Thanks for the response. Please see my other post re switching CPUs (which I used for brevity, but thanks for the trivia too). This means monitor #1 works because it's OK with CPU #2. I used this computer just yesterday and the screen res was fine (1024x768). Could something be loose inside the computer case that I can probably work on?

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I responded to your post already.. look up above yours ;)

8. barexam

barexam Private E-2

straight up black, no anything.

9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I'm leaning towards a bad video card... If the video card is not onboard then try reseating the video card. i.e. pull it out and put it back in. You will know if it's on board because the blue port that monitor plugs into will not be attached to a removable card that is sticking out of the motherboard (on the inside). If it is onboard, you can purchase a peripheral card to repair the machine.

10. barexam

barexam Private E-2

OK now that was Greek to me :eek: but this amateur will do what she can. Thanks for your time! :)

11. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I'll try to water it down for you.

Your monitor plugs into a video card. There are different types. 1 being a card that plugs into a slot on the motherboard inside your computer case. The other being a chip ON the motherboard that is generally not replaceable by your or me.

When you open your case, take note if the port that the monitor connects to is attached to a card that seemingly rises up off the motherboard from a slot. If it does, then you must remove this and then re-insert it. You will need a philips head screw driver to remove the screw that is holding the card in place on the outer edge of the case (long metal strip on back). You should then be able to remove the card.

It may help us help you better if you can give us some specs on your computer.. i.e. who made it , model etc.

12. barexam

barexam Private E-2

My gosh, it worked! I did as instructed and when I turned the computer on, the monitor came to life as well. I'm off to "work." Thanks again for your help. You're a genius and my hero! ;)

13. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Glad it worked.. :) have a great day!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds