cpu speed for motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skitz, Feb 15, 2005.

1. skitz

skitz Private E-2

hey guys, I have an ASUS P4S8X, and an intel 1.7Ghz cpu....and i would like to upgrade to a faster cpu.....the manufacturer says the fastest cpu it can use is the 2.53Ghz chip by intel.
    is this true, as i know there are a lot of other socket 478 intel chips with 400/533 FSB.
    also have a gig of ram if that matters(dont think it does)
    skitz
    in the cmos settings there is a provision for a 2266mhz cpu, or selectable by user for stepping the cpu in increments, as well as voltage adjustments....should i play around with those settings or is that asking for trouble....

2. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

If the manufacturer says that is all it can handle then that would be it.
    As for overclocking, If you are not familiar with doing so I would ask around and read up on it. You don't want to try overclocking and fry the CPU.

3. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

4. gman4dx266

gman4dx266 Private First Class

try looking for a bios upgrade on the board manufactures site. that usually adds higher speed cpu support to some boards. If not definitely read up on overclocking...Its one of those things youll use maybe once or twice but its good to know how to do. just search on google and spend a good hour/hour 1/2 reading and make SURE you understand it first. Otherwise, dig a hole in the backyard for that chip-o-yours. :eek: Most people disregard the fact that no cpu can be pushed and pushed and expected to keep going or even worse keep running. Everyone knows you cant push a pentium III 500 to something like 3.8 to match the latest P4 HT chip. So the rule of thumb is "KNOW YOUR LIMITS!"
    Have fun...If the chip dont matter to ya, shoot for around 2GHz for that chip if you can makes it, which you should be able to. Remember- Clock before voltage-ALWAYS!

5. skitz

skitz Private E-2

thanks for the replies, i am getting happier now.
    i have read and reread all over the net and have o/c this 1.7 so far to about 1.9, taking small incremental steps...
    also o/c my video card but by a tiny amount, as i dont wannt spend another 200 or 300 for a new one
    all seems fine for the moment, but i need to monitor temps, so i'll be off soin that for a bit, will let ya know how it turns out...
    again, tks for the info guys,
    also, i do have the 1005 mods in place for the cmos
    skitz

6. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

glad you've found something you enjoy. If you really want to see how much you can get out of this chip, i'd recommend you consider upgrading to a high end Power Supply.

this will ensure the stability and control you need to get the most out of any chip, and you can always move it to the next system you get.

some notable PSU's of recent are Antec's new Neopower 480w Modular, OCZ's Powerstream series, or a nice Fortron Source PSU. PC Power & Cooling make the best PSU's but they're expensive, and the others are getting close to them for half price now.

7. skitz

skitz Private E-2

i recently purchased a new case and ps, which i believe is a 420w. (my memory isn't what it used to be)
    i can check mebbe tomorrow and see, too lazy right now
    skitz

8. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

thats exactly backing up my point. most of the PSU's you buy bundled with a case, [while they might run your system sufficiently at stock speeds], can be the primary cause of frying a chip when overclocking.

i'm not saying you NEED a new one just that a higher quality one will produce a better outcome for your overclock, and overall system performance/stability.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds