Easy Linksys Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unclematty, Feb 15, 2005.

1. unclematty

unclematty Private First Class

I have a router/access point working fine. in my other desktop, i have a wireless card installed, both software and drivers. It estableshess a great connection but still when i try to browse the web i cant.

i know i have delt with this before and it is a non issue but i cant remember what i have to do.

any help? thanks

2. RickM

RickM Private First Class

here are some tips tp start off:

1. at the cmd line (dos prompt) type "ipconfig /all" <enter> to see if you have the IP you expect (DHCP or Static).
    2. ping your router/AP "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" <enter> See if you can
    3. Check your DNS settings.
    4. make sure you default Gateway is the router.

3. unclematty

unclematty Private First Class

I do have an ip address. I can not ping the router. default gateway is router. what am i checking in the dns settings?

Thanks for you help

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

If you can't ping your router, there is a problem either with the router or your machine.

Have you got any firewall software on your laptop? If so, try disabling it.

Oh, if you are using MAC filtering, and you have a new network card, you'll have to re-allow it, though a wired port on the router :)

5. RickM

RickM Private First Class

What is the routers IP and mask and your PC's. If you cant ping the router from your PC there is something not configured correct.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds