No video output and no system beep

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mp3froque2005, Feb 15, 2005.

1. mp3froque2005

mp3froque2005 Private E-2

HI everybody,

I have a MSI KT4V VIA KT400 with a ATI 9200 Radeon graphic card. I have a AMD Athlon 2000+ and a Maxtor HDD as Master and a Western Digital as Slave. Currently I have 512 MB Ram.

When putting the computer together and starting it, I don't get a system beep and no video output. The fans and HDDs start, but nothing else.

Any idea what could have caused that? I know that the craphic card works, because I had it on an other motherboard (MSI K7N2 Delta NVIDIA nForce 2).

Thanks for any help!!

2. scorcer

scorcer ajMro keGe

Try reseating the ram

3. mp3froque2005

Thanks for your reply.

I just tried that, it didn't help. I know that the RAM is ok, because it works in my other computer.
    I read in some other threads something about resetting my BIOS. Do you know how I can do that without a working output?

4. scorcer

scorcer ajMro keGe

Do you mean updating your bios?

If not then, we are beyond me

5. scorcer

scorcer ajMro keGe

I was just thinking,,

They might have been talking about the CMOS jumpers on the Mother Board, that will reset the BIOS to original

Disconnect power>push power switch to discharge residual power

Then find the CMOS jumper on your board, it should be a three prong setup with a jumper like on your HDD

Set the jumper to the other configuration, i.e.: if jumper is on 1-2, set it to 2-3, fire the rig up

on my dell, you then have to enter BIOS and actvate "maintenance"

Then you have to go back and re-do the above steps, reseting the jumpers to their original configuration

Hope this helps

6. mp3froque2005

I think I ment resetting to some old status. I read something about this in other threads.
    As a matter of fact, while waiting for replies I kept looking and found that I should clear my CMOS. I did this with the jumper on the board. When I started booting afterwards, I got a screen :) :) :) it told me somthing about something being wrong with my CMOS and my BIOS. I went into my BIOS, set the time and date in the CMOS and reset the BIOS to the original version.
    As I'm writing I'm putting the OS on the drive! :)

Thanks for your efforts and support!

7. scorcer

scorcer ajMro keGe

Rightous, welcome to MG!! :cool:

8. mp3froque2005

Thanks Scorcer, that is exactly what I did.
    I have to say that all this is kinda frustrating in the beginning but it is kinda fun afterwards if you were able to figure it out. Those forums are amazing!!

Thanks again.

9. BCClements

BCClements Private E-2

I had the same problem with a new build.

Start with only the CPU, RAM, and graphics card. Don't even install the motherboard in the case. Set the MB on the anti-static bag and connect the power supply, power switch, and speaker cables.

If you still have no video or beeps but the fans run, you probably have a bad motherboard.

I know it very frustrating, but good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds