Communication issue, possible worm?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by strunza, Feb 16, 2005.

1. strunza

strunza Private E-2

Good morning. I recently started a part-time gig maintaining a small network for a hair salon. Day one was "trial by fire", as the main database had crashed... :rolleyes:

For starters, the previous geek seemed rather complacent about virus protection, as the virus definitions were about 2 1/2 years out of date, so I'm thinking that the problem with the database may (but not sure) have been virus related. I upgraded to Norton Antivirus 2005 and loaded it on all 3 terminals, and also loaded Spybot S&D and Ad Aware SE. After scrubbing the boxes with these programs and then running the database rebuilder for the program they are using (it's called "Elite", more on that in a second), the Elite application fires off no problem and the database is intact.

My issue now is that the 2 "satellite" terminals cannot connect to the "server". I can ping all day long, and I can browse and see the shared folders, etc. In talking with the tech support at "Elite" (it is a software prodeuct designed for hair salons), the guy told me that everything is configured properly, yet the error I get states that the main terminal doesn't exist. His assessment of the situation is that I may have a worm on the box that is affecting the port that the software is trying to communicate over - which I'm a tad dubious but.....

I guess my question to the forum is - Is there something available out there that will do a thorough search for any kind of malicious code that may be affecting this box at that level? I would appreciate your comments!

Thanks,
    Strunza

2. strunza

strunza Private E-2

My bad, pardon me for not following the forum regs:

Both the management workstation and the remote are XP SP1. I cannot put on SP2 yet, as it will render the Elite program inoperable and they are working on a patch.

Both stations are clones with 512 mb RAM, 40 GB hard drives, and I believe 1.2 GB processors. Nothing special.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds