Network Adapter code 10

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carnold2, Feb 17, 2005.

1. carnold2

carnold2 Private E-2

My wireless ethernet card will not work. I have a Broadcom 802.11g network adapter. When I look under properties it says this device can not start Code 10. If anyone knows what I can do to make my wireless work again please let me know.

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Lets begin by reinstalling the hardware. Follow me below!

1) In device manager, remove the PCI Adapter, power off the machine and literally pull out the PCI Card.

2) Power on the computer, after windows loads insert your disk that came with the PCI Adapter and reinstall the device drivers as this will usually fix the problem. After drivers have been installed power off the machine and place the PCI Adapter Card back into the machine in a different PCI slot.

3) During startup windows should automatically detect your hardware and load the appropriate drivers. You may be prompted to reboot, if so go ahead and reboot.

4) Let me know if this does not work and we will continue further.

Thanks!

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

sounds like the driver is missing or not installed correctly ... try uninstalling then rebooting the computer and letting windows detect and auto-install the drivers

I'm assuming you're using XP ... more info about your computer would be helpful .. make/model /specs etc

4. carnold2

carnold2 Private E-2

I have uninstalled the driver and then let windows reinstall it and that did not work. I am running windows XP. The driver version is 3.20.23.0. The driver file is C:\WINNT\System32\DRIVERS\BCMWL5.SYS. The adapter is located in PCI bus 2, device 4, function 0. My computer is a Gateway laptop that is about a year and a half old its a pentium 4. Let me know if there is any more information you need.

5. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

6. carnold2

carnold2 Private E-2

I tried doing what you said and it didnt work do you have any more suggestions

7. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Hi carnold2, You stated that you are running WindowsXP. That being said please check for any available updates from Windows Updates, download and install all critical updates and optional updates for WinXP.

NOTE: Make sure you have Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed on your computer for security reasons and also some fixes.

Before installing Service Pack 2 be sure you system is clean from spyware and virus infections as this will cause critical problems!

If you want to be sure about being clean, please see this sticky thread
    READ ME FIRST BEFORE ASKING FOR SUPPORT: Basic Spyware, Trojan And Virus Removal

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds