Second Harddrive Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dreaddor, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Dreaddor

Dreaddor Private E-2

I remember hearing a while back having 2 Harddrive in your computer with only one of them having your OS and nothing else while the other one has all your normal stuff can make your computer much faster at boot up and running games and such. Maybe I heard wrong, but is this true and if so how do I do it? I know how to install a Harddrive yes but is there any special thing I would need to do?

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

adding a second hard drive might help performance slightly, but dont expect any huge gains.

the main benefit of having the second hard drive is storage, so you can backup important files and reformat the OS drive whenever you see fit...

however, for the small performance gain you would need to allocate Window's Paging file on that second drive. Paging file is hard drive space set aside for the operating system to use as if it were RAM. it moves temp files or other files that are currently in use onto the paging file so it can work with them.

by moving the paging file off of the OS drive, there is not so much read and write going on at the same time on the OS drive.

the only special thing you would need to do is make sure you correctly set the jumpers on the new drive and any other devices that share the same IDE cable. (Master/Slave)

then, once you boot into windows, open up disc management (Open control panel, go to Administrative Tools> Computer Management> Disk Management (on the left).)

From there you can partition and Format the new drive

3. Dreaddor

Dreaddor Private E-2

I see, good info there. Thankyou

4. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Or you can put a different OS on it, 2 computers for the price of one:(

5. scorcer

scorcer ajMro keGe

I've been reading along here,

You say 2 OS's, 1 on each hard drive,,,

Could you have windows on one and linux on the other?

If so, how much space does linux take?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds