Using PSU externally

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kpatrickm, Feb 19, 2005.

1. kpatrickm

kpatrickm Private E-2

Hello.Im getting a new Graphics card wich needs more power than my current PSU can supply.Could I just use another PSU to connect to the new card without removing my old PSU and leave the new 1 outside my case.Personally I dont see why I couldnt but I would like 1 of u dudes to confirm this for me.Cheers.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Other guys use an extra psu to power water cooling or lights,but using one to power something like 6800 i assume or similar is opening a can of worms. Things like water cooling are seperate to the rest of the computer.You will somehow have to bridge the green wire on the other psu to turn it on at exactly the same time as the other psu or your computer will just beep and report no vga.
    Then theres all kinds of current feedback issues I would imagine you would have to deal with,since both psu's will be coupled electricaly through thge agp port
    But dont listen to me i'd like to see you try make sure your stood at the other side of the room when you push the plunger.

3. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

sure you could, but unless you're an Electrical Engineer that can conquer the issues (some of which were mentioned by Rikky), then i would definetly not recommend trying so.

If you'd like, I can send you a list of great power supplies from low to high price range, but i'll have to PM you since its posted on another forum and i dont think were supposed to link to other forums.

4. kpatrickm

kpatrickm Private E-2

Cheers for the quick replys lads.No im not an electrical engineer.And I dont fancy been blown out the window.So I think I will just have to replace my Power supply.Im going for an Antec Smart Blue 350w and a 6600GT card.

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Good plan.

You can couple PSUs, overclockers with lots of gear (5 or 6 drives, 4 or more HDDs) have been doing it for years, but its not at all recommended. Appart from anything if one PSU goes, then half of your kit mysteriously loses power. Ouch, data corruption!

6. Rikky

A cdrom/harddrive mybe but a gpu needs a good quality stable voltage overclockers havnt had to deal with that problem before these new cards,be interesting to see if someone has done it though I feel a google search coming.

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Well, people have needed to have stable power supplies for components while having craploads of fans for a long time.

The thing is, with cooling its a bit different, because all the components will still get power if the cooling PSU isn't turned on. However, this gives rise to another problem: What if the main PSU turns on without the cooling PSU? Vapochill cases takes this into account, and so when you hit the power button, 5 seconds or so is left for the cooling system to get itself up to pressure. If it detects the cooling system isn't working, it will not power up the main PSU.

Electrically, its pretty easy. Doesn't mean its not risky for both components and yourself.

8. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

9. Rikky

Read a few reviews on those big black vapochill lumps wont be long before we all have something similar after manufacturers stop dripfeeding us duel cpu boards and make them worth buying,then you will have to throw your single cpu vapochill case away and buy the new double cpu case and so on and so on god they'v got us by the b@lls a little of topic but anyway
    How was your day?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds