Hard DRIVE question, correct size?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pmanning1969, May 20, 2005.

1. pmanning1969

pmanning1969 Private First Class

This is what my hard drive readings are on Everest. Is this correct for a 200 GB HD? shouldnt it be more?

Drive Drive Type File System Total Size Used Space Free Space % Free Volume Serial
    C: Local Disk NTFS 131061 MB 6932 MB 124128 MB 95 % A852-9F2D

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

You are only using 128 Gig. Your Bios may have a 128 Gig limit. Check and see if there is a BIOS update for your computer.

3. pmanning1969

Darn, I got a new Foxconn 939 pin board to support athlon 64. I thought it would run way more than that.

4. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

If you are installing HDDS larger then 160GB onto a new system then you need special drivers, for the HDD dont you?

*has forgotten.

5. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Everest finds 128gig what about the bios?

Check if your bios is the latest,you might be able to download one from the manufacturer.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

What does disk management say? As in, rightclick my computer, select manage, and go to disk management.

7. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

First off, the barrier is not 128Gb, it is 137Gb. Secondly, with a motherboard as new as that (939 pin hasn't been around that long) there should be absolutely no problem using all the space on the drive. Even the very first BIOS revision should support drives larger than 137Gb. My guess is you only created a partition 128Gb large. Try Start->Run->diskmgmt.msc and see if there is any unused space on the drive. My guess is there is about 70Gb of unpartitioned space.

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

That would be 137Gb Decimal, 128Gb Binary.

9. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

What OS and Service Pack are you on? WinXP SP1a or better, or Win2K SP2 or better?

10. pmanning1969

I am running Windows XP PRO service pack 1.

I dont remember i I partitioned it that way or not. I am at work and not able to check it jsut yet but does this mean I have to start all over again from scratch if I am going to use the all the 200gb?

Its a new MOBO and 939 definitley supports anything over 130gb.

Obviously I have done somethign wrong when used the bootupdisk.

11. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

12. pmanning1969

I thought xp pro automatically has the service pack and 48 bit?

So I guess if it doesnt, I am going to have to download one of the service packs. I cannot believe that XP Pro does not support 200 gb Hard Drives or more.

13. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

"I cannot believe that XP Pro does not support 200 gb Hard Drives or more."

XP Pro does support any size of hard drive currently on the market. You just need SP1a or greater to use them.

In any case, have you tried going into disk management to see if you have any unpartitioned space? You can just format it and use it like a second hard drive, or you can use a program like Partition Magic to combine it with your current partition, or you can reinstall Windows and format using the whole hard drive...

14. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

If your motherboard hard drive controller is ATA133 then it will support over 137 GB, regardless of whether you have SP1 or not.

Also, some programs like Intel Application Accelerator will enable large disk support. It's not applicable here obviously but only for information.

15. pmanning1969

Under disk management it says 58.32gb unallocated.

What do you think I should do?

16. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Do you want one big partition or two partition? or ?

See Wyatt_Earp last post, which is format the unalocated, partiton magic or reload windows making one big fat partition.

I would make multiple partition's the first one for OS 15gb or more, you can make up to 4 primary partitions any of which can windows be loaded onto.
    Some folks like one big partition, that route if you have to reload the OS then hope ya got backup of any important data, IMO is best to keep windows on separate partition.

17. pmanning1969

I would like to format the unpartioned. How do I go about this?

Partition Majic cost money doesnt it?

18. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Without wishing to sidetrack the OP's thread but I too was looking into this issue. Obviously there are 2 issues at hand as regards HDD >137Gb 1. the bios should be able to address 48bit LBA which his does. 2. The o/s should be be able to see such HDD.

As regards the latter issue, I have XP SP1a. I am looking at putting in a 200Gb HDD into my rig (currently 120Gb). My understanding is that XP SP2 has the appropriate Atapi.sys file but SP1/SP1a does not and this driver needs to be updated as per link provided by TheDoug.

Is anyone actually using a HDD >137Gb with XP SP1/SP1a who could categorically state that there is no problem on that score.

Cheers

EDIT: Yes PM costs money and is version specific ie PM6 will only work on HDD of up to 60Gb or so, PowerQuest PM8 up to 160Gb and the Norton PM8 up to 300Gb.

19. pmanning1969

Obviously I do not want to format the whole drive and start all over.

I dont mind having an additional 50 gb HDD.

So what steps do you reccommend I take to do this?

20. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

negative.
    if you are using a hard disk that is more than 137GB, along with Windows XP (which I'm assuming he is), you need Service Pack 1 to recognize the full amount of the hdd, then use diskmanagement to assign it :)
    I've been running my 160GB hdd on XP SP1a without any problems.

21. pmanning1969

I am running xp pro. So just go ahead and go to download site and update the service pak? then go into diskmanagement?

Once inside Diskmanagement, what exactly step by step do I do?

Thanks everyone.

22. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Right click on the unallocated space and click partition. (Or create partition... something like that) Then once the partition is created, right click on it and select format... Here you'll want to choose NTFS for file system, and Default for allocation unit size. Then you should be good to go. It should show up in My Computer as a seperate 50+ Gb hard drive.

23. pmanning1969

Thanks Wyatt and everyone else. I now have a 58 gb HD on drive E:.

Appreciate the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds