Trouble getting online.....

Discussion in 'Software' started by coralou, Jun 28, 2005.

1. coralou

coralou Private E-2

I have been trying to clean some of the clutter from my computer and while doing so I think I made a mistake.

I used msconfig and chose selective startup ~ after I did this I couldn't get online. I went back and switched back to normal startup but it didn't seem to help. I have to reboot after a few hours of not being online to get the pages to load.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

2. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Make sure remote procedure call service is started and if you are on dialup remote access connection manager.(dont use msconfig)
    Try this MG/BlackViper services configuration page http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12 and use controlpanel>administrative tools>services and not msconfig(keep it at normal).

3. coralou

coralou Private E-2

Remote procedure call service is on auto. I had already went back through msconfig and restored it to normal after I couldn't get on line.

I have followed the directions above. When I highlight an item that is on auto or manual I see on the left side of the screen I have the option to stop or restart.

When I highlight an item in services that is disabled I can't find an option to enable. When I highlight and right click the options start,stop, ect. aren't avaliable.

How do I enable disabled items.

I haven't had much time to check this out but so far I have found one disabled item that shouldn't be.

Thanks for your help ~ that think has great info.

4. coralou

coralou Private E-2

OK~ I found my answer. I just needed to double click :eek:

I'll be back with an update later tonight.

Thanks!!

5. coralou

coralou Private E-2

The only process I need to reset was ~ Application Managenent. I was disabled and I reset to manual.

My computer seems to be running slow. When I go to another page on this site it takes about 10 seconds or so to load. I have DSL and it has always been pretty fast, 1-2 seconds. I won't know for a couple of hours or maybe even over night if this helped any.

Even if it didn't I learned something new and that is always good.

Thanks!!

6. coralou

coralou Private E-2

I have been on this web site (idle) for a couple of hours. I can't get any other pages to come up. When I move through this site the pages load very slowly.

I use Mozilla and IE I can't get either one to open so I have to reboot.

Anymore suggestions? Are there any diagnostics that might be on my computer that I can run to help pinpoint the problem?

I am running windows XP
    Home Edition
    version 2002
    service pack 2

Thanks!!

7. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Is the trouble with browsing only,or is it a bandwidth problem,how are other stuffs like messenger,pop mail,av updates etc?Do you have a good virus/spyware protection?

8. coralou

coralou Private E-2

My CPU usage is 0-4%

After Ihave been offline for an hour or 2 I get "page cannot be displayed" with IE and from Mozilla I get a box stating site could not be located.

If I am idle too long while online I can move around (slowly) on this site but can't get to any other sites.

I cannot connect to thunderbird mail program when this is going on ~ I have to reboot.
    I don't use messenger.

I have AVG and ZoneAlarm, Sbybot, Adware

I went to the spyware forum just before all of this started. I found 59 entries from web back lite (?).

I posted my HJT log and followed the directions from there.

I did try to remove some things from AOL in my HJT log but only after being told it was ok to do so.

Somewhere between that and me messing with the msconfig & processes all of this came about.

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Try Process Explorer. Free from:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4566

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds