how to clear out everything in the hard drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mammageek, Jun 28, 2005.

1. mammageek

mammageek Private E-2

:confused:
    ok, mamma geek here, wanting to know how to wipe out hard drive from old computer so that i will feel comfortable giving the thing away, or throwing it away in the trash and knowing that it would take alot to bring up impertanent information that was put on there throughout the years.

computer is windows 95 upgraded to win98, got it in 1997 or 98 and at that time it was a 64K / 400megahertz ??? that's all i remember about it. not even sure if that's right! sorry if that sounds dumb :eek: !

at one time i had to re-format it after a crash.... :( believed to be a virus that wiped out everything! anyway....hoping someone can help. i used to have the 'formula' to do what i am asking but can't seem to find it.

thank you anyone who can direct me on what to do!
    :eek:

posted this same post in 'hardware' really not knowing which category this question belongs.....

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. pdcooper

pdcooper Staff Sergeant

Take cover off very carefully, then get a 22oz roofing hammer and pretent the thing that looks like a record is a large spider that fell on top of you while you were sleeping? :D

4. mammageek

mammageek Private E-2

Thanks all!

love the one where i am supposed to use the hammer!

son said the same thing........hey, might be fun in the process, hee hee!

appreciate all your input. :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds