Removing MSDOS based Start-Up 1.0 freeware

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jillyfish, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Jillyfish

Jillyfish Private E-2

I recently downloaded a couple of freeware programs. One was CWSHREDDER from the 'sypware' menu on this home page, I removed it by deleting the .exe file as per the softwares intsructions... The other software program was from the 'admin tools' menu also from this sites homepage. The program is Start-Up by ExtraMile Software, it had no instructions for deleting and no unistall feature built into the program and the
    program was not listed under the add/remove program. So I dragged the progams into my trash (under their properties they were listed as being on the desktop, not a shortcut), emptied the
    trash, did a search for its files and deleted the files and restarted. Now when I start my
    computer in safe mode and right hand click the 'my computer' logo and
    go>properties>performace...I get a message that says "Real mode driver or
    memory resident program loaded in config.sys or autoexec.bat file" and when I
    click for more info I get..."Drive X is using an MS-DOS mode file system, a
    driver listed in the Config.sys file" and also "Compatibility mode reduces
    overall system performace"...How do I get rid of this program. I am not a
    wizkid at computers but I can follow instructions, I could use some help on
    how to rid of this program off my computer as ironically my goal was to free up some system resources but now more system resources are being used than ever.

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

This is not a malware problem related to topics of the Spyware Forum. I am moving this to the Software Forum.

However note, neither CWShredder nor Start-up required any installation so they would not appear in Add/Remove programs. Simply deleting those files removes them from you PC but this was not even necessary because they do not use any resources unless you run them.

Sounds like something else was removed to me. Note you did not even provide your OS!

3. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Which OS?Looks like windows cant find your IDE(hd) drivers and is using MSDOS mode file.But this may be normal for safe mode.

4. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=130179
    You only need to be concernd if the error happens at normal times and not safe mode.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds