Firefox Freezes

Discussion in 'Software' started by jtone, Jun 30, 2005.

1. jtone

jtone Private E-2

What's up geeks??

Still use a combo of Firefox/IE6 (Firefox for my "surfing", IE for work). Occasionally, whether or not I'm running FF in safe mode, it will freeze up, and the title bar says "Not responding". After 10-30 secs, the browser will "unfreeze" and begin working again.

IE, believe it or not, has never frozen on me (on this 'puter, anyhow) but I only use it sparingly due to reasons I don't need to elaborate.

Anyone else have this problem? I understand a new version of Firefox is coming out in a few days, or should I try Opera or some other browser??

Your experience and thoughts are appreciated.

Still working on the probs from my last thread so I'll let you know how it works out.

BTW-I keep hearing about software that will spam those who spam you. Is this true??

Another question that I might as well toss out there, since I'm a long winded bastard anyway........
    Is there any software that will prevent changes to my registry, system32 folder, and startup (running processes?) without me ok'ing them?

2. killian_sh

killian_sh Private E-2

What version of FF are you using?
    And secondly,how did you upgrade?

3. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Some pages are optimized for IE. When I notice FF freezing, I open IE and load the page no problem. Yes there is a new version of FF due out soon. There are a couple of security flaws that were recently discovered that need to be fixed.

4. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Thanks for the advice......

If I am properly protected against spyware/malware etc, is IE really that bad?? I know that there were a lot of "holes" in it, but apparently some of you guys still use it. I keep it on my 'puter because certain sites, like my job, don't like FF. I usually keep cookies, activex, scripting etc disabled, and I've got AVG plus a couple of spyware programs running in the background when I surf, and I clean my machine after each internet "session".

Guess I'll wait for the update and see what happens.

5. Shadow_Puter_Dude

If your OS is XP, you can't uninstall IE; as it is part of the OS. FF is my default browser. I only use IE for windows updates and a couple of other sites. BTW IE still has like 20 unpatched flaws from the original 6.0 release. 7.0 isn't going to be much better, as to get the full security benefits you will have to buy 'Longhorn' when it ships.

Let me see, I want a secure browser, and to get one from Microsoft I have to buy the newest Windows version. I don't think so. Here is a concept MS doesn't seem to grasp, fix the browser and remove it from the OS.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2005
  6. jtone

jtone Private E-2

Thanks for the advice, Shadow. I first started posting here because I'm one of the unfortunate souls who bought a P4 Prescott edition, with a P4 compatible mobo, and SPII crashed the hell out of my 'puter. It hasn't been the same since, but I've got a few other threads going about those probs, so I won't rehash them here, too.

I'll keep using FF as much as I can, even with the freezes, which I suspect will go away when my OS is more stable. I'm not the biggest Microsloth fan, but in my industry most of our programs are on an allegedly XP-Pro compatible platform, so we're kind of a slave to it. As an aside, when FF freezes, it freezes solid. I can either wait for it to unfreeze, or I can manually close the app and reboot. I'm half tempted to uninstall and reinstall FF instead of just updating it, which is about the only thing that I haven't tried.

This site rocks-I've lurked here for quite a while and have found more solid advice, freeware, and other 'grams (I've bought a couple, too) than anywhere else on the Internet.

7. bchivers

bchivers Private First Class

Try WinPatrol it's one of my fav.link

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Uninsatll Firefox, and install the new version when doing an upgrade. I never install over the top of FF. I always uninstall the old one first. Here is something you can do in the mean time copy the bookmarks.html from C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default where %USER% is your user directory and xxxxxxxx is 8 random characters to some place you can find it. Then delete the entire C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ directory. Unistall FF 1.0.4 reinstall it, then copy bookmarks.html back to C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default and start FF.

9. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

There's a known problem with the Prescott P4 hyperthreading causing this problem. See this link: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=230393
    firefox freezes for 10 seconds at a time - MozillaZine Forums

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds