firefox

Discussion in 'Software' started by BERG, Jun 30, 2005.

1. BERG

BERG Private E-2

sombody please explain whats better in firefox than IE. is it safer to use? i heard it was faster.

thanks

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Just about everybody in this site will recommend that you use Firefox instead of IE. The reasons for that are:

1. Firefox does not implement ActiveX controls. Which, are a source of malware.

2. Firefox tends to be more secure than IE. From personal experience, I can tell you that I have had far fewer instances of spyware. This also, has something to do with a persons surfing habits.

3. Exploits designed for IE do not effect Firefox.

4. Security flaws found in Firefox are fixed faster than security flaws in IE.

3. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

I currently use IE and havent had a problem yet. You can also disable Active X controls in IE my going to Tools > Internet Options > Security tab > Click on the Internet icon > Select custom level (and disable the Active X controls) unless you didnt know.

But IE does have holes in it, so just watch your surfing habits and setup your security options for IE. Or i guess switch to FireFox.

controlmind

Last edited: Jul 1, 2005
  4. pdcooper

pdcooper Staff Sergeant

Hackers ----HATE BILL GATES and everybodys right about active x

5. BERG

BERG Private E-2

firefox does seem faster, but with the plugins..i cant seem to get the java plugin to work, i download the file but it wont install..any thoughts?

6. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

Java troubles are a familiar Firefox problem. Usually it's recommended to uninstall any previous Java versions, download the offline installer, and install. But I encountered one user who couldn't get that to work, but was able to get a successfull install using the online installer. You might give that a shot. Also check out the suggestions here:

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/java.html

Note that, though the links on this page say JRE 5.0 Update 3, they now lead to Update 4.

7. King

King Private E-2

I personally use FireFox as well, love tabbed browsing. Actually, I'd be surprised if Bill didn't include tabbed browsing in IE7. I get almost no malware as well.

Biggest problems with firefox? Some plug-ins can be a pain in the rear, some sites don't display correctly in FF, and with many plug-ins the load time when first run can be quite awhile even on beefy systems.

-K

8. slydon

slydon Private First Class

If you use firefox and like it can you ( should you) uninstall internet explorer?

Don

9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

No, just leave IE on the side. There will be times when you need it for certain sites, like some banking sites and windows update.

10. Franklin

Franklin Corporal

Being an old dog learning new tricks I was a bit apprehensive at using firefox several months ago.After a bit of using,learning and tweaking I find it much better than IE.
    Since using FF, Giant antispyware and Ewido have found no malaware.
    And no I don't think it wise to get rid of IE as this could cause probs and I think it's needed to obtain Windows updates.

11. barnburner

barnburner Private First Class

Anyone interested in Firefox, should install it, and try it for a couple of weeks and decide for themselves.
    I did it many versions ago, and it only took me a few days to make it my default browser. IE gets used in my house as a last resort.

12. SoloTraveller

SoloTraveller Private First Class

I really like the FireFox feature where a dialog pops up asking you for comments on FireFox, then proceeds to crash FireFox hard. Yup, really love that feature.

13. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

That's what happens when firefox crashes, not the cause of the crash.. :)
    It's a prompt for you to input info so they can look at what happened.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds