software reinstall - free space question

Discussion in 'Software' started by sosaman, Jul 1, 2005.

1. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

ok, i just did a reinstall of my os (last night). i did a low level format on my h/d, then reinstalled my os, however somewhere there is something taking up alot of space. the last time i backed up my computer (less than 1 month ago), i was able to back up everything (all my programs installed) to a dvd. as it is now, i've only got about 5 of the 35+ programs installed. any ideas? would it matter if i did a quick partition instead of a full partition, when reinstalling the os? - sos

Attached Files:

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

a couple of more screen shots. i'm off to work now, so i'll check stuff later on. - sos

Attached Files:

3. Franklin

Franklin Corporal

If you don't use the hibernate feature you can turn it off,control panel,power options and reclaim disk space equal to ther size of your ram.If still a prob download this nifty disk space viewer to see what's using up space.This link-
    http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

4. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Welcome to MG and great first post :) cool software.

5. King

King Private E-2

5 gigs, with system restore on and hibernate, seems about right to me. I would question getting 35+ apps and system files on one DVD. There is a good possibility that your previous backups weren't working right.

I also dealt with a problem last week where a FS (NFS, ugh) was going bad and about 3% of the files on the server were showing 4gigs!! Some were even cookies! Yeah, that explained why the backup wasn't working lol.

-K

6. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

thx, for the replys peeps!! i must have missed the hibernate thing (i normally disable it), i'll check that when i get home. i have a list of all the software that i load, and things that i check, but i haven't checked my power options, etc. yet.

and king, i actually had about that many programs, including all microsoft updates (sp2, etc.), copies of the programs that i had downloaded/installed. i just made sure that i had deleted my cache etc. from my browsers, and deleted all temp stuff with ccleaner, as well as deleting programs that i don't use (like itunes that installs with quicktime now). i'd say it barely fit on that dvd, and it did work (because i've used it already). the only thing about that backup disk, is that i have two h/d's and my os was loaded on the "g" drive, which was my primary drive and it had changed to my secondary drive on a prior install. anyway, i was trying to clean up some minor problems that i had, and wondered if the os on that drive was giving me problems? thus, my reloading my os again. - sos

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds