losing my memory

Discussion in 'Software' started by lostinjapan, Jul 1, 2005.

1. lostinjapan

lostinjapan Private E-2

hey,

the memory just seems to be leaking out of my computer and i am not doing anything...no downloads, i clear temp. int. files and cache...but it continues to leak out..i am down to about one gb left.

but....my defrag and disk scan don`t seem to be working (including in safe mode)...is this why i am losing it? i don`t know what it says when i try defrag or scan (my computer has a japanese o.s) but there is some kind of error.

anybody any ideas?...thanks in advance,
    lostinjapan

(254 ram, intel celeron cpu, sony vaio computer)

2. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

You require at least 25% free space to run disk defragers.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

4. lostinjapan

lostinjapan Private E-2

thanks..i will try...i didn`t know i need 75% space to run defrag....i have managed it before...
    there is a drive utility on this site called disk keepar light ...or somethimg...anybody know if it helps?
    thanks

5. lostinjapan

lostinjapan Private E-2

yes, my mistake...25%

but, anyway...can anybody help with the losing memory problem...basically,

1. why am i losing it if i am not downloading and i am clearing temp files?

2. what can i do to recover?

thankyou

6. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

7. lostinjapan

lostinjapan Private E-2

Re: losing my memory...zone alarm to blame?

thanks...tried seq.view.....it is a little difficult to interpret the results (the help file isn`t so clear)....but from what i see, about one third of the screen seems to be taken up with boxes that are pre-fixed to "zclient".(plus varied more information after that)..i know this is zone alarm., my firewall..anybody know if this means zone alarm is somehow eating up about 33% of my diskspace? should i uninstall?

again, thanks.

8. bigbazza

Re: losing my memory...zone alarm to blame?

Do you mean disk space (on your hard drive), or do you mean RAM memory is being used up?

Try Process Explorer 9.12 http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4566
    A great program that shows all processes. Simple to understand. You can sort on any column. I sort to CPU use (descending) sequence. Look at the top 5-6 processes to pinpoint processes that hog your CPU.

9. bigbazza

Sorry, this did not appear as I wanted it to appear. Read through it all and ignore the fact that most of my reply appeared in a QUOTE box. Baz

10. lostinjapan

lostinjapan Private E-2

right..thanks.
    according to freeram pro i have about 30% ram free...dunno if that is good or bad.........but really my problem is the hard drive which i believe sequoaview analyses....so, i am thinking maybe i should uninstall zonealarm cos according to seq.view it is eating up the memory i think...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds