Lost Files - Please help me!

Discussion in 'Software' started by lcollum, Jul 1, 2005.

1. lcollum

lcollum Private E-2

A couple months ago I accidently deleted a school folder when trying to merge two folders into one. I thus lost a ton of files, and I am praying there is some way to recover these.

Many free programs seem to only work on recovery files lost POST program installation, not files lost before the recovery program is installed.

I am really hoping someone out there knows how to help, and could give me some suggestions!

Thank you so much

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

This is not a malware related problem. You should have posted this in the Software Forum. I'm moving it there. There are file recover programs that exist but normally they work better when:
    1) already installed before the problem occurred
    2) the recovery is done immediately afterwards. If this PC was getting used during the two month interval things may be lost.

You should explain in more detail exactly what you did to loose the files. Did you delete them and send them to the Recycle Bin (did you look there)? Or did you overwrite files you needed with something else (like different versions)? Etc..

As I said above, I'll move this to the Software Forum (a redirect will exist where you posted in the Spyware Forum)

3. Marjorie

Marjorie Private E-2

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

you could definatly try the programs Marjorie posted above but as those files were deleted over a month ago they have most likey been written over or at worse part overwritten and useless.

I still hear my IT mentor saying BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP...

5. lcollum

lcollum Private E-2

The important things that I did not mention are:

1) Yes, I must have moved them to the recycle bin by accident after [thinking I was] merging files, and then by habit emptied it.

2) The computer has been dormant since I noticed I deleted the files. No action has been done on my laptop since then, and thus I wouldn't have had the chance to overwrite them.

Thank you for all of your help.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

OK thats good then .. I would try PC Inspector File Rcovery then as its very good at file recovery.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds